mypopslou

Motorhome Tire Size -- Can I Increase?

I have a 2006 Tuscany and it is time to consider new tires. I currently have Goodyear G670 275x70x22.5. Is it possible to change to a slightly taller tire without causing any problems? When I back into my driveway, I barely have enough clearance to make it and my mud guard has really taken a beating.

I plan on switching to Michelins and using the FMCA tire program.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Best answer Yes / No. There are several things to take into account when thinking about a "bigger" tire. You need sufficient clearance between the dual tires in back and clearance to the under structure of your coach. I would talk to your Michelin tire dealer.

I would use a dealer who works on big trucks regularly hopefully he will have the knowledge to answer your question.

Bill

Before I swapped my tires last year I had same problem with full length mud flap. What I did was swap out the clevis and rings for smaller ones to raise a couple of inches. Then I put on same size tires and have no issues without making a large $ mistake.

You also have to verify that you have a wheel/rim that can accommodate a larger tire.

And that the larger tire will not interfere with body or suspension components.

If you tell us what chassis and wheel size you have, someone else may have experience with your exact chassis.

It will also affect your effective gear ratio.

A tire that gains 1/2 inch of rubber all around will have 1 inch of rubber as additional height. With 1/2" on the road side, and 1/2" on the top. Clearances are a big concern for me.