carlpeterson

Honda Fit Transmission Failure

I have a 2011 Honda Fit which suffered a transmission failure after towing to San Marcos Texas well withing the 8hr procedure for towing.

The warranty is 5 yrs. and 50,000.00 miles, I only had 43,000.00miles. Honda refused coverage because they said proper pretowing procedures were not followed. I have been flying safely for 60 years so I follow checklists religiously, so I assured them that I went through the proper procedure before towing.

I felt obligated to make all owners and potential owners aware of this, and have written all RV organizations that I belong to. I told Honda I was doing this, and would follow up with results, good or bad. So far, all bad. The Honda dealer in San Marcos originally said the warranty should apply, but later changed their story after American Honda turned down the warranty.

I will follow up with any updates.

I will ask my local Honda dealer if that will be the policy for all RV-s that own Honda's.

I think their response was generic. They asked how can I prove I followed the instructions. My response was in my first post, but unless Honda changes their response to this, I will never buy another Honda, because their warranties appear to be worthless. I have followed check lists for 60 years, so I know I did the correct procedures before leaving. Besides, my wife always checks me also.

Thanks for sharing, Carl. It's good to know so we can all make informed decisions. Also too bad since Honda has some of the most popular vehicles for towing.

It seems to me Honda should do some kind of analysis of the transmission to determine the cause of the failure before assessing blame. Weve been driving Honda products for decades and have never had a warranty issue with them.

Carl,

A lot of the vehicle forums have factory tec's on them and they have helped with problems like this. I am on a Ford F150 and a Chevy Spark forum that is monitored by factory tecs that offer help. Try the Honda forums and see if any are monitored by factory tecs.

A lot of times they can get things done that our phone calls can't because we are posting for everyone to see. Good luck and I sure hope you get some help. Sounds like you picked the wrong dealership to deal with.

Follow up on my problem. Last week a Honda rep. called and asked what I thought would be a fair settlement. I said lets spit the $2000.0 bill since I contend that I followed correct towing procedures, they said that can't be verified. He thought that was fair, but called yesterday and said that the claim had been denied. I will never buy another Honda for a dinghy. My suggestion, if you buy make sure the dealer will back up any warranty claims. I didn't have the option of going to my dealer since it happened on a trip. The Honda Dealer in San Marcos said he would support my position, but apparently crumbled when Honda called. Buyer Beware.

bilcain, Thanks for the info. I'm still fighting. I like the Fit for a dinghy, but if I can't tow it, I'll get something else. I have also written to Hotline of Motorhome about this also.

In Dec 2004 we bought a 2005 Odyssey. Got it in writing on Honda letterhead that it could be towed four down using the CR-V instructions. Got it set up to tow with all RoadMaster gear. Only towed it aobut 300 miles before I saw it on various forums that Honda was saying it couldn't be towed four down.

After some "negotiations" with Honda legal and the CA and WA AG's office they agreed to pay for my towing setup. Went and bought a Demco KK-460. Then, a couple years ago I saw that several people were towing them four down so I started towing ours four down.

So far no troubles other than operator error in forgetting to release the parking brake and running the battery down. I did install a charge line to alleviate the battery problem.

Honda went so far as to send a letter advising us that the trans/engine warranty was extended.

Hard to fathom Honda's refusal tow cover the damamge since they say the Fit is towable. In order to deny warranty coverage the manufacturer has to absolutely determine what the root cause of the damage was, if they can't then it should be covered.

I have a nice 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth for sale, which we bought to tow behind out Class B - Leisure Travel Van, but we had to sell the coach due to wife's health issues. They give you directions in the manual on how to flat tow. No problems.

Ford repaired my 2010 Escape after the Ford dealer overfilled the transmission. No problems. This was not Fords problem. Billy Cain Ford did an outstanding job and provided me with a camping spot.

I would contact RV magazines. They have articles that help RVs with issues that they have with service. I'll bet Honda doesn't want the bad publicity. But I found that Honda wants it both ways. They support all down towing in their manual but then they blame problems on "O, your towing the car". I traded my CRV on a GMC Terrain because of there attitude. I had owned 5 Honda cars but got feed up.