mpierce

"New" 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge "Smoke and Mirrors"

We are excited to have just completed the deal to buy a 1990 Bluebird with Royale conversion, "Smoke and Mirrors". My wife and I are raring to go!post-38589-0-64148900-1402232810_thumb.jpost-38589-0-38919900-1402232833_thumb.jpost-38589-0-88678500-1402232846_thumb.jpost-38589-0-48812800-1402232860_thumb.j

The works starts by getting rid of those analog TV's! Congrats on the new coach.

Yeah, it has to go! Will replace the one up front, but not sure about the one in the bedroom. Never watch the one in the bedroom we have now. Will put in a LED, to use less power, as we camp a lot without hookups.

Congratulations on the Wanderlodge, I'm sure you will enjoy the comfort of traveling in such comfort. LED is the best way to go on the TV's.

Happy trails,and may the wind be at your back.

Kay

Nice looking coach. Looks like it was well cared for. As Bill said replacing the old TVs would be a great up grade, however when you pull your old TVs get at least one if not two strong friends to help you. It is unbelievable how much those old units weigh. While you are at it you might consider a good dish that you can receive HD TV and watch two shows at the same time. Bill can walk you through any help you may need.

Enjoy your new coach.

Herman

We went down to GA, and picked up the BluBird. Stayed two nights in it at Leroys, and he showed us a lot of features. Really nice for a 25 year old MH. But, they are built like a brick s***house.

Got it home on July 5th. Ran flawlessly on the 1700 mile trip. That 8V92 sure purrs!

Yes, he did. It was a bittersweet moment for them. They did not use it as much, and wanted to sell. Yet, very sad it had to go, and tough seeing it going down the driveway.

Thanks again, Leroy, for the great job you did to a 25 year old coach. I hope we will put it to good use for another 20 years or so, and be able to pass it on to someone else to enjoy.

At 48,000#, it is SOLID!

Took the Wanderlodge out for several outings. Love it!

We are heading to the big Bluebird Wanderlodge get together at Quartzsite in Jan. Looking forward to meeting a LOT of other BB owners.

Those Blue Birds have Character, Nice coach!

What MPG did you get from the 8V92?

We went down to Q for a coupe weeks this Jan from ND. Pretty cold until we got there. Cold always hurts fuel mileage. We get a little over 6 mpg, traveling interstate speeds. Not quite as good as newer rigs, but when you consider the MUCH lower cost we paid, and the fact that we put on few miles per year, compared to semis, the difference in total cost is not much. Smoke N Mirrors weighs 46,000#, ready to go. LOVED the bus. Did well boon docking. Has 6 12v batteries. Ran the generator a couple hours in the AM, and one to two in the evening. Went 13 days on the fresh, black, and grey tanks. Stopped in Vegas for a couple days on the way home at RV park. Ran out of fresh water there! Pretty good, but, my wife and I both grew up camping with limited water. Same when we had kids camping too. Some had to go to dump and get fresh water every 3 days or so! LOL

Thats great! I have always wondered how the 8V92 was on fuel, I recall working on one when I was younger and telling my boss "this thing has a lot of oil leaks" his response still makes me laugh "if it wasnt leaking oil you need to add some". Funny I have seen some that didn't leak on buses. I think it was in an Autocar or Brockway...been too many years.

6 MPG is not bad at 46000 lbs, our HR weighs 33000 on average last summer the best I was at was 10.05mpg pulling our jeep (only 3300lbs) up RT 81 from TN. I know that old Detroit would walk away from me. Those were good engines.

Good luck with your new toy.

Joe

I had the absolute privilege of boarding a new 1988 Wanderlodge on the dealer's lot / 40ft. with the 8V92 engine in it. I have never forgotten it. Always think of it as the Gold Standard. What a shame they aren't built anymore.

I had the absolute privilege of boarding a new 1988 Wanderlodge on the dealer's lot / 40ft. with the 8V92 engine in it. I have never forgotten it. Always think of it as the Gold Standard. What a shame they aren't built anymore.

Yes, it is. Although, I would not be able to afford one! It is amazing the quality we got, for a fraction of the price of a new throw away MH!