Sign in to follow this  
jlandon13399

Surge Protector - Suggestions for Buying a 50-Amp

I experienced an electrical incident at a Golden, Colo., RV park. I want to buy a 50-amp surge protector. There are several on the market, with varying prices. Any suggestions as to brand and model?

I just bought a Progressive 50AMP Portable model and while I was surprised a bit on the overall size/dimensions, it appears to be a very sold and well built unit. I liked the lifetime warranty aspect. I had a SurgeGuard 30AMP with my older coach but looking at the Progressive I just bought, I would consider one of these.

Thanks guys. I researched Progressive Industries and like the more expensive 50 amp portable model as it not only protects against surges but also low voltage. Looks like one of these is in my future!!

Regarding security...before this coach we had a 5th wheel with a portable SG. I plugged it in at the power stalk, put a chain with lock around the whole thing, then covered the stalk (and chain/lock) with an old tire cover. If questioned I said I wanted to keep all my power outlets dry.

I also have a portable Surge Guard 30 amp unit - I lock it with a chain and deep shank lock to the bottom of the unit and then lock it to the pedestal in the RV park - I also use a black garbage bag to cover the unit if it rains and keep prying eyes off of the unit

The unit has saved my electronics several times in the past year - issue is always Reverse Polarity - if park won't fix, I move to another site !!

I have a 50 amp SurgeGard fixed unit but I have read some good things about the Progressive. That is probably I will go if I ever have to replace mine. I like the permanently mounted version because of possible theft.

Thanks for all the comments. I will go with the Progressive Industries 50 amp unit. Lazy Days says my compartment is a bit small for a permanent mount. I will review this with them as I do like the security of a permanent mount.