Parkerboy

SC To New England Next Summer

Question

:rolleyes: We are planning to go up Rt. 81 from SC, maybe go into Canada, then head south down the coast. Cut back over to RT. 81 to avoid the NJ, and NY city.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go or what to see while making this trip.

We are going to take about 8 weeks on this trip.

Any suggestions are appreciated, hope everyone on this board has a wonderful holiday season.

I just ran this route for work in June, had to go to Bangor Maine, other than some construction and hills (just at the PA NY boarder in Matamoras) on I84 it wasn’t a bad ride at all, very scenic.

My wife loves maps also. I just find the GPS to be more convenient...when it works that is.

Your original post was in 2014, we are planning a similar adventure in 2016. Just got back from a tour from Alabama to South Dakota, Washington state, Yosemite, Monument Valley and back to Alabama.

We are now planning our 2016 trip for June - July from North Alabama to Nova Scotia. Driving a 41' Newmar and towing a Civic.

Any of your experiences, must see, and caution advice would be much appreciated. We plan to setup in Hershey PA and drive the Civic to several areas like Gettysburg, and Pennsylvania Dutch farmlands. We also want to see NY City, and Plymouth MA areas for historical site seeing.

Thanks for any input...... Happy Camping.

post-43592-0-81249900-1438480656_thumb.p

Wayne,

Welcome to the PA Dutch country! We live up in this area.

The Hershey Park campground is a nice place to stay for a few days and you can purchase items from the camp store that you would find in the park without going to the park itself (same ownership). Stay in the pull through sites, the others are near the railroad. If you decide to camp in Gettysburg I recommend the Gettysburg Campground, nice place the owner is strict on the rules which keeps the place in order, he also is has an RV he runs in the winter so he understands our needs better than the corporate parks.

If you like amusement parks try Knoebels in Elysburg PA, nice place, no charge for admittance, you just pay for rides if you choose to ride them. Good food cheap prices and it’s an old park with a lot of neat history still remaining throughout. They have steam powered equipment still on site (not operating) but neat to look at, overhead belts running fans that are water wheel powered on the side of a mill, wood carvings to purchase and a blacksmith shop.

I would not recommend their campground, designed for tents, it’s tight, hilly, only electric, and no rules, it gets out of control.

If you decide to camp up there, JD campground right down the street is the place to go.

Towns to check out; (not far from Hershey PA)

Intercourse PA, walk along RT340 neat shops along the road.

Bird In Hand PA, still on RT340 same as above.

Strasburg PA (railroad museum) Ice cream shop on the corner of N Decatur and SR741 I believe it is called the Strasburg Country store.

There are also some places to shop along RT 30 between Paradise PA and Lancaster.

Do you have specific hobbies or just a general sightseeing?

If anything else comes to mind I will post more.

If you end up in Plymouth, MA check out Plymouth Plantation. You can take a whale watch trip out of Plymouth harbor. Great fried seafood at Lobster Hut located within walking distance of the Mayflower. Use your toad to travel in downtown Plymouth or you'll wish you had.

Oh yah, Plymouth Rock is a rock. Check out the cemetery on top of the hill above the rock. The settlers that died that first winter are buried there.

Hello Everyone!

We couldn't make it to Acadia last summer, the transmission on our RV broke down. I heard today that gasoline should be going way down, to $1.00-$1.50 within a few months ( before, sadly, they go up again in the summer) so now I'm like in a ...."let's go north!!" mode.

However, everything I read is of people going over during the high season, late summer.

--- Has anyone gone up earlier in the summer...

--- is there too much snow in late May?

--- Best direct route, (although we prefer NOT thru "big cities" and congested areas).

Thank you!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

28' Coachmen Concord with tow

OSCARPOWER, I was in Bangor ME June 3rd last year for work (not far from Acadia) and it was 36 degrees. Could have been a freak thing but it was not comfortable. check future weather planning when it gets closer, this year is a much different year than last with regards to the temps, maybe it will be a good year for that. We are headed up in July to play it safe.

Yes I was there in June last year. You always have the chance to get some cold weather if a cold front blows through. Mostly cool nights with days in the 60s I stayed in a nice place just south of Ellsworth Ma. Forest Ridge Campground, 40, Flockamoosen Way, Ellsworth, ME 04605, http://forestridgecampground.com/,(855) 299-6969.

I used the toad to go to Arcadia and Bar Harbor. I can't imagine trying to find a place to park a coach in Bar Harbor as finding a place for the toad was not that easy. But do check out Geddy's or Galyn's or Route 66 Restaurant, or well you get the picture.

After that we went Down East to East port. and stayed in the most eastern camp ground in the US.

Seaview Campground & Cottages, 16 Norwood Rd, Eastport, ME 04631, eastportmaine.com, (207) 853-4471.

If you have your passport's you can visit Roosevelt Campobello International Park, Welshpool, NB E5E 1A4, Canada, fdr.net, +1 506-752-2922.

One thing to watch for is when you get near the border turn off the data on your phone or just turn it off. It will pick up a tower in Canada and not tell you. This can result in a BIG phone bill.

Bill

No one going to Springfield, Mass for FMCA rally? Shame!

I want to, told the DW I was going, just got a strange look. Might be going by myself....more to come on this. I won the battle (or at least I think so) doubtful I will win the war, lol.