Sign in to follow this  
ultraglide

Phoenix to Las Vegas & San Antonio to Carlsbad NM

Question

Looking for a good road from Phoenix to Las Vegas.

I also need one from San Antonio to Carlsbad NM. I am good up to Ft Stockton.

7 answers to this question

Everything is relative. What I call good road and what you call good road may differ greatly. That said here are routes that we travel frequently.

From Phoenix, US 60 to US 93 then onto I-40 Westbound to Kingman where you pick up US 93 again. That takes you on to the bridge over the Colorado River at Hoover Dam, a spectacular sight that makes the route worthwhile, and then into Vegas either on the Boulder Highway or I-515. There are some long grades on US 93 but it is the direct route and I've had no problem with them. Traffic is generally not too busy once your are out of Phoenix until you get near Las Vegas. US 93 is designated the Joshua Tree National Parkway for a good distance north of Phoenix and there are also Saguaro cactus along this route. This has become our route of choice traveling between our grandchildren in Northern California and Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

I've traveled US 285 from Ft. Stockton to Carlsbad, NM many times. It certainly isn't interstate but I can't recall anything that I consider to be terrible road. It is one of the routes that we travel going to/from the Rio Grande Valley of Texas to Louise's family in the Denver area.

If you want less hills go west on I 10 to Vicksburg rd, north to 72 and on to Parker then 95 through Lake Havasu City, and you can wave to me as you go by!, left on I 40 to 9 miles west of Needles then north to Searchlight and on to Boulder highway and west into Las Vegas. Just a note, you cannot see anything as you go over the bridge in front of the dam because there is a tall wall to prevent you from gawking and slowing down. The route I just describe does not take you over that bridge. The road is pretty much flat.

Tbutler,

I was looking at the route that you gave me. I was looking at those roads but never drove to Las Vegas . And the last time I went to Carlsbad I drove from Ft. Bliss El Paso back in '72.

Thanks again for the information.

I have used the route Tom Butler indicated with no problems. I like to stay at the Blake Ranch RV Park just before Kingman. Most folks staying there are just over night. It is clean and not too expensive...less than $30 a night.

Black Ranch RV Park also has a truck stop and restaurant. The only problem with 95 is mostly a one lane road with dips! I prefer Toms route.

I take Hwy. 285 whenever I go to Ruidoso, NM...I-10W to Ft. Stockton. Have been on every other road in Texas and that is the best and fastest way from San Antonio or Houston!

Have a safe New Year!

If you look at a map there aren't really any good choices from San Antonio to Carlsbad except IH-10 to Fort Stockton then 285 through Pecos and on to Carlsbad. We have driven this route several times and it is fine.

Don