royclem

Axle Weights On Class C

I have a Class C Thor on a Ford E350 Heavy Duty Chassis, I'm looking For axle ratings only place I could find it is in Ford Owners manual is that the weight I use when I axle out my RV ? Also what about GVWR is that changed from door tag since it has RV body or do they change these stickers when they add RV body ?

I probably should have asked when I bought it but didn't seem like the guy giving me the post purchase run knew very much anyway..

The GVWR sticker, which is very likely on the door jam does give front and rear axle GAWR's as well as tire size and recommended PSI if loaded to GAWR's. The RV manufacturer does not change the axle ratings-- that is strictly a chassis maker's issue.

If your GAWR sticker has been removed, call Ford with your VIN.

Thank you Brett

That what I kinda figured just wanted to be correct before doing air check and weight check. So I assume Tow weight would be the same also 10,000 lbs

Roy,

If you are asking how much weight it can tow (trailer or toad), that is a more complicated issue.

Weight of toad and coach need to be less than GCWR.

But, if any tongue weight, one has to be very careful, as the RV manufacturer CAN lower the ability to carry tongue weight-- generally by extending the frame rails. With tongue weight, you also have to look carefully at the rear axle GAWR, as tongue weight adds more than actual weight to the rear and subtracts weight from the front axle.

If that is not the question, let us know exactly what you will be doing with the coach and hopefully we can help.

... So I assume Tow weight would be the same also 10,000 lbs...

Very few gassers on an F350 Class C chassis will have a 10k tow rating...normally 5k.

Your towing capacity is normally the lowest of:
- GCWR minus weight of MH when ready to travel (loaded).
- Hitch capacity.
- MH tow capacity.
- Chassis tow capacity...some times the last two are different.

Look by the drivers seat on the wall or look in all the cabinets. I have no idea why but the RV makers find the most obscure places to post this vital information. I will bet you have a 5000 lb. or less toeing capacity.

Congrats on your new coach.

Bill

royandemmaclem,

You can send me a PM with the full chassis vin number, I can log on to Ford and send you a screen shot of the chassis spec, depending on what info is available.

Joe

I'm a little confused I just got my Class C weight and total loaded is 10,420, Rear axle was 6708, so I subtract that from 10,420 and that leaves 3,632 for front axle. Now My GVWR is 12,500, with GAWR front is 4600 and GAWR rear is 8,500 so I'm OK there.

But, if I subtract GVW 10,420 from GVWR it only leaves 2080 for Towing-- is that correct? My toad is 2513 lb. and my Dolly is @ 500 lb that puts me about 933lbs past my GVWR. Correct? I didn't weigh my toad I'm going by what the manufacturer state as curb weight for my 2006 Nissan with a 1.8 ltr eng and dolly 500 lbs.

Roy,

No, to calculate towing capacity, subtract loaded weight of motorhome from GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating), not GVWR.

Be aware that this may not be the limiting factor on towing. The LESSER of the number above, the hitch rating or towing capacity (often stated as a separate number) dictates maximum towing capacity.

Roy,

From experience inspect the hitch closely, our class C had two stickers on it, the hitch manufacture had it rated at 5000lbs with 500lbs of tongue weight. Coachmen had their decal with a warning "Maximum towing capacity 3000lbs and 150lbs of tongue weight". My guess was the frame extensions Coachmen installed onto the chassis were now the weak link so Coachmen backed it off. I followed the lessor and kept it under 3000lbs A.K.A I only pulled a small car or a golf cart.

I found the Coachmen decal while installing roller wheels under the hitch, (that's a whole different story :) ) it was facing the front of the coach, while the hitch manufacture decal was facing the receiver portion of the hitch. Until that day I thought I could pull 5000lbs.

Roy,

No, to calculate towing capacity, subtract loaded weight of motorhome from GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating), not GVWR.

Be aware that this may not be the limiting factor on towing. The LESSER of the number above, the hitch rating or towing capacity (often stated as a separate number) dictates maximum towing capacity.

Thanks looked it up in the owners Manuel and GCWR is 15,000 lbs or 18,500 depending on the rear end gears only tag I could find in the rear said 500 lbs for tongue weight I got up under the rear and couldn't find any other tags.

Thank you all for your help-- I was completely confused about the weight GVWR and GCWR.

I would also contact the RV company to confirm what they designed. I have a 3,000# tow limit on my 2008 Coachmen just like jleamont.. BUT I understand that Coachmen made some design changes on newer units to raise the tow limit back to 5,000 so you need to be specific with your model and year.

I suggest the VIN number to the RV company via email should hopefully get a written reply.