wildebill308

Keeping The Ice Maker Water Valve From Freezing

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the solenoid water valve to the ice maker from freezing? It is in the compartment with the refrigerator and not much protection.

I found the solenoid water valve to the ice maker leaking. Must have frozen during the last cold spell on the trip back to Fort Worth from Pharr Texas. The weather went from 82 in Pharr to 23 west of Austin on 281 where we decided to get off the road as it was sleeting. I checked around the usual local RV places and they all wanted about $50.00 plus tax. Went on Amazon and got one for $23.00 shipped.

Not a hard job about 15 minutes after I got the part.

The part that took longer than changing the valve was cleaning up the rats nest of wires in this area. I just string tied the worst of it, making sure no wires were rubbing on sharp edges. Only found 4 places where the wires were run over sharp edges, 2 places the water line was rubbing on sharp metal. I still have to find a couple of small artist brushes to paint the drip tray and rest of bay.

(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/WILDEBILL308/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/th_IMG_20150311_125210_042.jpg)

After

(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/WILDEBILL308/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/th_IMG_20150323_114430_533.jpg)

Bill

If you are using it in cold climates you can probably wape heat tape around it. Otherwise it needs to be disconnected and drained.

Just put a 40-60 watt light bulb in there. Might also prevent the frig from failing to cool when the outside temps drop down into the single digits.

Lenp

Good morning lenp!

What's a single digit? I only see that from idiot drivers on occasion!!!!! Sorry, we are in Texas :wub::rolleyes:

If you don't like the weather, it will change by next day! Have no problem with getting ice, can't get water....same in last coach

Carl C.

Bill,

If you travel into cold weather you might install a Freeze Guard and a 40-60 watt bulb. A Freeze Guard can be bought from Swimming Pool supplier. They are designed to turn on your pool pump when the temperature gets down to a preset temp. Most of them come in 220 volt but you can just used on leg for a 110 volt bulb.

Herman

The Norcold 1200's have a heat tape factory installed and it is supposed to work whenever the fridge is operating. Doesn't help when shut down for the winter, though.

The Freeze outlets that Herman mentioned are available in 120v models. Get them at Amazon.com, farm supply stores, Lowes & Depot, and even in some Walmarts (northern climates). Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2

A little trick I do when heading home is to turn off [unplug] the ice maker solenoid. This will allow the ice maker to dump the ice but not put water back in. This way you don't have water sitting unfrozen for a long period of time.

Herman

Well the problem is it happened on the road. I was on my way back from Pharr Texas where the temps were in the 80s.I got as far north as Austin on US- 281 and the temperature dropped to 23 and it started sleeting. I thought it should be warm enough with the frig on. US 281. We spent two days at Miller Creek RV park right where US-290 runs into 281. Nice friendly place to be snowed/iced in. Gary if you look at the picture there is aluminum tape and a wire on the line from the valve to the icemaker. I have had people tell me there should be foil and heat wire on the valve. That apparently disappeared before I came on the seen. I am understanding this is on when the fridge is on or is it thermostatically controlled?

Herman, I hadn't planed on traveling into cold weather but it came to meet me.

Bill