RJThurston

Cummins ISC 350 24 valve...?

I was just plain wrong! Heard some things in my part of PA (mostly Cat people here). Read some things on the net possibly by people with axes to grind, and although it happened many years ago, had a lot of trouble with a brand new big cam 400 Cummins in my first purchased Peterbilt. Left a foul taste, but I need to move on.

Hey I am used to being wrong. My DW tells me all of the time.

Thanks for the kind words.

Not picking on you but too many people post hearsay and it confuses the people that don't know.

Bill

I believe I read that earlier models had some problems. Guess that I am just a Detroit and Cat lover, but if I ever get to trade up, a Cummins will be in my future.

The early 98 to 02 ISC CAPS fuel control engines did have problems on some of the engines, I have one that had the problem. The later HPRC engines solved that problem from 03 forward .

Walt

The early 98 to 02 ISC CAPS fuel control engines did have problems on some of the engines, I have one that had the problem. The later HPRC engines solved that problem from 03 forward .

Walt

Walt what engine do you have and what went wrong? Symptoms etc?

The reality is that virtually all diesel engines used in RV's in the last couple of decades will far outlast the rest of the coach.

Can you kill one-- sure, but doubt you will ever wear one out.

Brett: Maybe some but I have my doubts with the ISX!

I have a 2001 ISC 350hp with 74,000 miles. Just had it serviced at Western Bus and they said valves etc were fine. I have seen lots of 5.9 24 valve trucks with 300 thousand and running fine. The 8.3 is a million mile engine, just keep regular maintenance preformed.

I am a Cummins guy don't care for Cat.

I am new to the forum and FMCA as I had just joined a year ago when I purchased my first coach. Fuel economy was mention early on in the discussion so I thought I would add my two cents worth.

I have a 2008 Itasca Meridian with the ISC 350 Cummins engine. I have found that if I am pushing it (70+) my fuel economy goes way down (7 mpg). If I keep it between 55 and 65 I am getting over 9 or 10 mpg.

Just food for thought.

Use the charts below for useful information for the ISC engine:

Engine Ratings

Advertised hp @ rpm Peak Torque lb-ft @ rpm Governed Speed 240 - 330 660 - 950 @ 1300 2200-2600

Maintenance Schedule (CAPS or HPCR Fuel System)
(Why Fleetguard Filters?)

Oil Filter 15,000 Miles, 500 Hours, or 6 Months Fuel Filter 15,000 Miles, 500 Hours, or 6 Months Valve Adjustment 150,000 Miles, 5000 Hours, or 4 Years

Filter Part Numbers (Fleetguard Numbers)

HPCR (03 & up) CAPS (98-03) Oil Filter LF9009 LF9009 Fuel Filter (Water Seperator) FS1003 FS1022 Fuel Filter LF9009 FF5488

Useful Specs (CAPS or HPCR Fuel System)

Intake Valve Clearance .012" Exhaust Valve Clearance .022" Engine Brake Clearance .090" Firing Order 1-5-3-6-2-4 Oil Pressure 10psi (Idle), 30psi (Rated RPM)

Fuel Pressure Specs (Minimum)

HPCR CAPS Lift Pump 5 psi Cranking 5 psi Minimum Gear Pump 10 psi Cranking
70 psi @ rated speed 10 psi Cranking

Good info Puff!

I only run Fleetguard filters, for the extra couple of bucks its good insurance. I have had too many bad experiences with aftermarket filters and the lower micron ratings so it can fit multiple engines.

Huffypuff, cannot agree with you more about valve adjustments, Cat has set a standard back in the 80's and is there standard used

today with there electronic engines. Settings as follows intake .015 + - .003, exhaust .025 + - .003 what does this mean.

Cat position is clear if feeler gauge falls within the above clearance adjustments not needed.

Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Good morning had my first cup of coffee and reading the early edition of the FMCA Forum. Great news hearing very

Good feed back about the ISC engine with the CAP' fuel system. Keep these good post coming. One thing about many

of us older retired mechanic's, we keep out thoughts to ourself about different engines and do not really want to get

Into the mix of who has a better engine. I have heard many stories over the years about throw away Engines, Cat Heui

Systems, VGT turbo's on electronic cummins, Special extra setting of valves and on, an on. You can read 6 post for

bad engines than read 8 post telling how good engine is. Point is this we all have different money put away for the day

of retirement and just maybe motorhome is selling that fits out budget. Many of us are, do it your self kind of people.

But the bottom line we all love the R.V. lifestyle traveling country in a motorhome. We run into problems and resort to

forums for assist with problem. The great part, people from all over the country chime in and provide advise regardless

of what there background is, they just want to help his fellow R.V.er. Remember old saying from my father regarding

repairs ( it was built by man and can be fixed by man ). Let's keep a positive out look is and sugar coat the downside.

Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

CAT (wish they still did DP market), Cummins, Detroit. I only deal in RV, not over the road 18 wheelers! This is a MOTOR HOME FORUM and as such, I don't much care, what engine does what, at 300,000 miles! <_<

Having said that, sorry, I'm not a "Brand" type of person, I care more about getting from point A to B and did not buy a DP based on mpg. A DP rides better, handles better and pulls better than a gasser, period! It costs more, way more than a gas rig to purchase and maintain, but that's the trade off to get what you want, if you can afford it. :)

The comment about "I don't like CAT", stupid! Ask Ray, cats are nice!!! :wub:

My 2 cents.

Carl