lylefikse

Atwood Water Heater Only Warm On Both Propane & Electric

Last year we had this problem with the electric side of the water heater. A new element solved the problem. Now it is both sides, electric and propane. Our water heats only to warm. You can take a shower with only hot water. The water before was to hot to touch on hot. Suggestions on a fix?

When was the last time you pulled the drain plug from the water heater? Sediment build up can cause the problem described.

This may or may not be the problem, but it is the least expensive to try first. If it doesn't work, then the control board is the next item to look at, assuming that you have already checked the thermostat for proper setting, or just try moving to a higher setting.

Lyle, could you post the model number of your water heater for the group?

If they made them all the same it would make thing to simple ! LOL

Rich.

Check the position of the bypass valves. If the bypass valve(for winterizing) is not closed it will let cold water mix in with the hot.

Bill

The model is GE16EXT. I have not winterized for two years as the unit was in a warm climate. Valves are a pain to get to behind a panel. Have not checked that yet but don't think they would move by themselves. I did drain it an left it empty for about 2 months before current use. We get home tomorrow and will drain the water heater again. If water coming out is lukewarm or very hot, it should help narrow down problem. Advice is welcome.

Lyle,

This is a link to the owners manual for your model.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/waterheaters/MPD%2093050%20PS%204.9.09.pdf

You mentioned that you did not winterize the water heater last year. That being the case - did the coach get exposed to some freezing temperatures, where the water heater mixing valve could have been damaged in some way?

Bill made a good point regarding the outside wash station and to think about it, the bathroom shower mixing valve could also cause the problem. Never known one to fail internally in a way that would allow the hot and cold water to mix internally with both valves closed.

Although - over the years I have learned to Never say Never !!

Rich.

Rich, good point I was thinking about the inside shower too but it didn't type that way. I had a problem with the lever on the winterizing valve. Last summer I had to bypass the hot water heater so I could put water on the coach. When I moved the lever it didn't completely close the valve. Finley found the lever was slipping on the valve stem. I was having the same luke warm water problems.

Bill

I drained the hot water heater today and the water was very hot. Could not leave hand in the stream. Water coming out of tap on hot is much colder. I took the mixing valve out today and it is soaking in vinegar as I write this. Seems the the check valve is operating better now. I will reinstall tomorrow and see if this has made a difference. Outside shower is off. I seldom use it so didn't think it would be on. Update to follow.

Success I think. Water is much hotter. Uncomfortable to leave your hand under the hot water. Before it was only warm. How hot is your hot water? Can you touch it when on hot?

Lyle, Think the max temp is 170 deg. - At 150Deg. it is uncomfortable for me!

Do you have a meat thermometer? They work quite well to test water temps.

Rich.

Thanks Rich, I'll try that. Right now tank is full of bleach water and am sanitizing for next trip. Draining hot water tank so I can refill with bleach water.

Adding vinegar to a water heater, will help clean any buildup of minerals and make the water better smelling, and tastes better. I clean the filter screen, and wipe a vinegar soaked rag back as far as possible into the sink faucet monthly for removing that musty taste from the faucet.

Used the meat thermometer Rich suggested today. 110 degrees. This is hotter than before. Is it enough? Will test it on a short trip this weekend.

After the old mixing valve worked sometimes and then not at all I purchased a replacement. valve ($189). When installing the valve I read the instructions (I know, very unmanly).

They talked about the valve failing if the water heater is not flushed often enough. I did not realize that just draining the Atwood GE16 EXT water heater we had did not do this. When drained it still has about 2 quarts of water in it and the sediment seems to stay in the water heater.

I have ordered a flush tool and will flush the water heater before putting anything through the new valve. More to follow.

Lyle, posted:

"After the old mixing valve worked sometimes and then not at all I purchased a replacement. valve ($189). When installing the valve I read the instructions (I know, very unmanly)."

Just brings you up to speed with the rest of the gender !!!! :huh:

Rich.

Geez! A vinegar flush for the water heater. Something else to do before heading west in August. My only other hobby is drinking beer, and at least I can do that in moderation while I pursue the primary one.

The flush/ should it be a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water all the way up? Pretty sure ours is a ten gallon unit.

Yes, you want 50/50 vinegar/water.

Sounds strange, but I used an old water heater drain plug. Drilled it to accommodate (tight fit) an 8' piece of hose-- basically, the largest diameter clear plastic hose that the plug will accommodate. Use a ladder to raise it to near roof level. Put a funnel in the top end of the hose to make pouring the vinegar easier. Open the pressure relief valve to allow air to bleed out as you pour in the vinegar. When five gallons are in, open the faucet nearest the water heater, turn on the water pump until the water heater is full/air bled out. I would turn on the water heater until it turned off. Let it sit for an hour to cool down and then drain and flush.

If in the desert SW, this is an annual job. Hard water really does a number on the water heaters.

I bought the flush tool through Amazon. $7 plus shipping. It is just a plastic valve with a short soft hose on the end with elbow at the end. It took about 15 minutes of flushing my water heater before it ran clean with no chunks of crud coming out. Fired the heater up and with the new valve, the water temperature at the tap is 130. Problem seems to be solved. I will be cleaning out the water heater more often now.

Brett, next time you pour fluid into a funnel from the top of your motorhome, post pictures. I'll bet that is a sight.