tireman9

Install Swivel Seat In Class-C

We have a Coachmen Class-C MH built on a 2007 Chevy cut-away van chassis. We like the OE GM captain seats but would like to be able to swivel the passenger seat to face rearward when parked as that would give more comfortable seating than at the table bench seating.

The seat back is close to the "B" pillar so the center of rotation would need to be off-set or the seat would need to slide toward the center of the chassis I think.

Has anyone done this modification? If so where did you get the swivel base?

I have not tried this - but from your post information, I wounder if you could use a base plate form an old Flexsteel base, under the seat. One might be able to adapt the front to back plate so the seat would move left to right enabling to set to move away from the "B" pillar.

The other tight spot could be clearing the Engine cover or doghouse.

Seat might need to move left to right and front to back to clear the pillar and the steering wheel.

The devil is definitely in the details when it comes to clearance requirements and range of motion.

Sounds like a project to assemble and test on a bench and shop floor before moving it to the drivers location for a post install test.

Rich.

Might be able to adapt one of the old style power seat bases, but then its all about clearance and room !!

Correct. The Flexsteel pedestal only rotates. In a "normal" installation, the seat track is mounted to the TOP plate of the pedestal. The bottom is bolted to the floor.

You would need to find a track designed to handle the seat/accident loads while being installed sideways and mount the Flexsteel pedestal on top of it.

Rube Goldberg is your friend!

Caution with regards around safety. Your chassis was crash tested to work in conjunction with the seats, frames and occupant ride height etc in the cab all engineered and installed by GM and passed testing mandated by the feds. I would hate to hear of a passenger becoming injured due to the space requirements or structure set by GM if they were compromised by an unauthorized modification.

Maybe someone makes a seat base for your cab that is authorized by GM to be installed into it? At least they have paperwork authorizing their product to be installed into your cab to work in conjunction with the dash height etc.

I would pass on the idea of fabricating something that would fit.

I had a request a few years ago and the OEM would not allow us to replace the seats in a cab with seats that they offered as an option, it became a big deal over what I thought was a simple request.

Just my two cents.

Check with a van converter, they install swivel seats which must be legal.

Thanks for idea. For some reason I never thought of them

This may be a little off topic but it also may apply to any swivel seat installed.

To turn the seat to face the LR the seat has to be moved all the way forward toward the steering wheel for the back to clear when it swivels. Sounds contrary to common sense but it works in a large percentage of the modern MH's.