obedb

Pennsylvania Has Highest Diesel Tax In USA

I guess this as good a place as any/ PA diesel tax highest in the country by far. 64.2 cents per gallon. Buy your fuel elsewhere if you can. I think that the Feds charge 21 cents per gallon as an excise tax. Add the two and OUCH!

ObedB,

Thanks for the heads up! I filled up in the state back a year ago because they had a lower tax rate then some other states.

The real issue is it hurts the residents more then the out of state drivers. With large fuel tanks one can pick where they want to top off the tank.

Rich.

Fed is actually 24.3 with an excise fee of 0.1, for a total of 24.4 added to 64.2 = 86.6. And some people think the oil companies are monsters.

Taxing authorities do nothing except collect it, and call themselves making sure the stations give honest measurement, LOL.

Good to know, headed to South Carolina Friday, I have 120 gallons on board now (full tank) I will be certain to fill up there, from what I read it was cheaper.

I usually look for the signs when I am driving and stop where it is the most cost effective with the lowest bio reading or NO BIO

Tax is but one component of fuel pricing. We are more interested in the "net" cost.

We absolutely use http://then.gasbuddy.com/

You can scroll along your day's route in less than 2 minutes, seeing the price of fuel all along your route.

OR, you can determine the least expensive gas/diesel in a whole state (see who is having a price war). Who knows, may be very near your route.

OR, you can determine the least expensive gas/diesel in a particular city.

I often copy and paste the address into https://www.google.com/maps so that I can look at overhead and street view to make sure our coach will fit.

I rarely go 2 blocks out of my way, but can often save $.30-$.50/gallon by shopping.

South Carolina seems to usually be a good state to fuel in and save some green. I usually stopped at the northern most Flying J on 95 (Latta) . There is a huge parking lot there and I frequently saw RVs parked along the south edge. Quieter over there. Truckers all wanted to be closer to the grease burgers, burritos, and chicken on the other side.

Brett is right, use gas buddy and you can find the lowest prices. I used it today to find diesel at 1.159 L hear in Quebec, I had seen it as high as 1.229 L. I know the conversion is 1.05669 to quart but $4.636 per 4 liters reminds me of last year to much.

Bill

I was looking at Gas Buddy and even though PA may have higher taxes the prices aren't all that bad. I found Diesel for under $3.00 and like other places you can pay more. I will be buying Diesel right after I get back in US I found it for $3.09 much better than $1.249 a liter.

Bill

Just filled up for $2.93 a gallon, this is in New York of all places! Rt. 87 at exit 10. Now I can enjoy the Adirondacks seeing that they caught all the escapees!!

Prices have been dropping here in the Keystone, but slowly. The wholesale price, the price at the rack ( where tanker drivers load ) influences everything. Subtracting 64.2 cents from the pump price at the Pilot in Carlisle PA leaves a wholesale price plus Pilots margin at $2.407 and that is lower than any of the neighboring states. VA is the area bargain for us although they do have more biodiesel in their fuel. A motorhome owner only has to care about the pump price and happily I am in that group. Knowledgeable truckers subtract the state tax from the pump price because they have to pay the tax based on miles run in the state whether they buy fuel there or not. PA has been for decades, a big fuel point for truckers heading into or out of the northeast and that affects neighboring states. The wholesale price for neighboring states plus the federal excise tax and the dealers margin is actually higher. Go figure. If our tax was not so outrageously high, we would all benefit with much lower prices in those neighboring states.

Bill. Small talk here. I remember prices at the pump in the teens in Arizona when I was just a pup in the mid sixties, and yes there are a whole lot of factors at play as Brett said.

In Corning NY area tonight and did see diesel for under $3.00. Filled up north of Albany NY for $3.08 and thought it was much better than $1.26L in Montreal Canada.

Bill

Just filled up for $2.93 a gallon, this is in New York of all places! Rt. 87 at exit 10. Now I can enjoy the Adirondacks seeing that they caught all the escapees!!

I was through there this morning, no more excitement.

Bill