ottfamily

Towing A Moded 2013 Rubicon Unlimited

Hey everyone. Newby here!

Just bought a 2009 Four Winds 34y toy hauler. I want to tow my Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with 35inch tires, 31/2 inch lift, and a couple after market heavier bumpers. plus some dirt bikes and an ATV inside the garage of the coach. I live in CO and will be going up and down passes. anyone know if the weight is OK?

What should I use as a good tow system and are the brakes OK on the RV???

Thanks for your help! :P

ottfamily,

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would do is weight everything, including the coach. add them all up to see what your gross weight would be. Then check the Gross Weight Rating on you coach. Even if you are within the limits, all of those thing might be a real strain on a 34 foot gas coach.

As for brakes on the Jeep, Yes. In Colorado anything being towed that is over 3,000 lbs. is required to have auxiliary brakes. Also be sure you receiver hitch is rated for the weight and you have a tow bar also rated for the weight. Be sure that your tow bar in within 2 inches, plus or minus, of level, and your tow vehicle is wired with lights.

Good luck and again Welcome.

Herman

Yes, as Herman said, check the weight of the motorhome and everything you will carry in it (weigh after loading to verify) is less than the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and that the front and rear axle are less than their GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).

Also, that that weight plus the weight of your Jeep are less than GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).

One more thing. Be sure of your weight distribution. A coach that size and what you are asking to carry, be sure the load is distributed as evenly as possible.

Herman

Hello, All:

This past summer, with my 2009 (new to me) Fleetwood Discovery 40G, I pulled my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport (2.5" lift and 35" tires) from the Atlanta area to Northern Michigan. (Blue Ox Tow System/Brake System). I had the lift kit and 35" tires installed a few days prior to the 2000 mile trip and completely ruined the front jeep tires on the trip.

Upon returning home and taking it to a specialized Jeep shop, they indicated that both front jeep tires were miss aligned. So, I believe the problem is fixed... however, the question... does anyone see a problem with pulling a jeep with 35" Tires as long as the alignment is good? or would smaller tires Track better?

This June our trip will start from Atlanta and touch Mt. Rushmore; Cody, WY; Jackson Hole, WY; Central City, CO and back to Atlanta via I70 and wanted to see if others have pulled a jeep with 35" tires?

Thank you, Ken

Ken.

My Jeep Wrangler Sport has also been modified. One thing is that your tow is level or +/- 2", I had a welder

build me a "Z" extension out off 3" angle iron (stainless 1/4" steel) for my hitch receiver. My Roadmaster

6000 fits into and through the top of "Z", pin goes thru both & secured by a barrel lock. I don't have a base

plate, I use the bracket for the "D" rings on a Stainless Steel bumper that is bolted and welded to frame! To

prevent wear and tear of my front tires (34" NITTO) I installed track bars. I have a 3" lift & I tow level. :)

My Jeep is still a work in progress! At 72+, I have to have my toys! :rolleyes::lol:

Carl

Ken,

I tow a 2003 Wrangler Sport with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires. No issues with tire wear or tracking. As long as the steering column was unlocked and the tow bar is level you should be fine.

I did see a person one time towing a Ford Ranger that forgot to unlock the steering column, chewed the front tires off and damaged the steering linkage in a 40 mile trip.

Thanks guys for the quick response... Your feedback was very valuable.

Thanks, Ken

PS: RocKen is abbr for Rochelle and Ken... hopefully, we will see ya on the road... again, thanks

Ken,

Will you and Rochelle be in Perry? Close to home, lots of vendors, new coaches, Great Entertainment and you came come to the meet the Forum Get Together on Thursday the 17th at 5:00 in Seminar Room 5.

Herman

I tow a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited behind my Georgetown and use the ready brute elite tow bar with the built in surge brake and use the Mopar wiring harness. Great system and easy to install. Once the brake cable is installed in the jeep you never to mess with it.