jcuny98

Where Do Full Timers Spend Summer Months?

My husband and I are full timers. Our kids live on both sides of the country and are very busy.

Where do full timers spend the hot summer months where there is still community. We have traveled a lot of the country but we have found summers hard to deal with.

Most folks we meet in the summer are so busy with their families that we are wondering where is there community?

For a two or three years we spent summers in a campground in NH, close to two of our kids. In that area a lot of people have TTers that are in the campground year round. Then in the summer when the campground is open (May 1 to Oct 15) they came up on weekends. We spent a lot of time with a number of them. There would be as many as 20 people around the campfire in the evening.

Then we volunteered as camp hosts in Idaho for 3 summers. We often got together with the other hosts (there were about ten other couples - there were 12 camping units in that state park) . There were potlucks fairly often. After that we usually spent time in the northern tier of states in the west, If we were in an RV park for a month or so we found it easy to make friends. We also used summers to visit family and friends all over the country.

Although we are not full timers (would be if it was up to me), I can tell you for sure that the western states that offer higher altitude camping are a good choice. I am partial to Colorado and Montana to experience pleasant summers. You can easily check normal summer temps on your computer if you find a place that you are curious about.

As I post this comment, it is 50 degrees in Lake City Colorado at 9AM MDT. High will be 71 today. Cloudy today. When the sun is out it is warmer in the afternoon, but with low humidity. A/C is seldom needed. Overnights are delightful. There are many places throughout the West with similar temps. Most full timers that I talk to out west head to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or the west coast for the winter.

Not a full timer, but being from Texas and it gets real hot, I normally spend summer in Dolores, Colorado and Ruidoso, New Mexico. As I write this it is 98 in Abilene, TX. and 72 in Ruidoso, where I will be tomorrow! :)

I'll be in Dolores Aug. 7th. with a dozen friends from TX. and AZ. Most of them are FT's.

Good Luck & keep the rubber side down!

Carl

We spent last summer at Deer Spring RV Park in Mayhill, NM. Nice cool weather in the mountains. Many of the people there spend every summer there but they welcome newcomers as old friends. Someone has a campfire going every evening and everbody brings their chairs. This summer we are traveling but plan to be back in Mayhill next June then on to South Fork, Colorado or Chama, New Mexico for trout fishing until sometime in September. Our experience has been that most campgrounds in Colorado has some spontaneous campfire gatherings where all are welcome.

We full timed for 10 years before putting in a mobile in our park in Edinburg, TX. Each summer we set out to see part of the country (US and Canada) that we hadn't seen before. We find friends wherever we go but community, only when we are visiting our children which has become a bigger part of our lives as the grandchildren age. We have a cruise scheduled for the spring of 2017. I pointed out to Louise that it would be our last free spring for years to come. Our first grandson will graduate HS in 2018! After that we have a constant parade of grand grads, HS and hopefully lots of college as well.

We're in Newfoundland right now, our last piece of Canada we haven't seen - excluding Nunavut. On Monday we made friends with Troy and Tracy, a couple of Newfoundlanders (Newfies) who gave us a boat ride to get a close-up look at an iceberg! They have our card and an invitation to visit us in Texas when the snow wears its welcome thin. Last year we hosted a couple from Melbourne, Australia that we met in New Zealand in February 2014. They came to visit us for five days while on a trip to visit with their son and his family on the east coast. Community is where you find it. In our case, we tend to make our own when we aren't with family. During the winter we have community like nowhere else we've ever lived. What a party!

We have made a practice of finding cool places (mountains, far north, seacoast) for the heart of the summer. We visit children/grandchildren in the late spring and early fall. Those places too hot for summer visits become our en-route visits on the way to or from our other travels. Works for us.

There are summer RV communities all over the US for those who full time if you prefer to stay in one place and make close friends. Higher elevations in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico come to mind. We love the Maine coast but our chldren are midwest to far west so it is impractical for a regular stop. There are also membership parks (Thousand Trails, etc.) that can be a choice for a summer location. These have never interested us but everyone has their own preferences.