campsite

'98 Chevy 454: Engine Turns Over Over, Will Not Start

After attending the Richmond Nascar race when I tried to start my 1998 Winnebago Adventurer with Chevy 454.

The starter turned over as to start the engine but the engine would not fire up and none of the gauges on the dash would move. The hydraulic parking brake would not release.

All the fuses under the dash test out OK. Is there another fuse someplace that would have blown that I have not found or if anyone know of anything that could be causing this please let me know. The battery is up.

When you turn on the key, does the dash display go through the various system checks before it settles down? If not/ that is very important to know for the experts that will hopefully soon respond.I lost an ECM on a diesel once. No display whatsoever. Turned over willingly, but no fire. Expensive. Hope that is not your problem.

I can't remember if a '98' 454 has a module in the dist. If so you can drive for some time and when you kill the engine it will not start again until the module is replaced. Engine will turn over but no fire.

Herman

Many years ago drove for a company towing a 14,000 pound trailer with a 1 ton 454 Chevy. Somewhere on I-10 it decided to quit. Turned over but would not fire. Got on the CB and a trucker stopped, pulled the distributor cap off. It has been so long since that happened, back in the early 80's, I cannot remember the specific part, but you have exactly the same symptons that I expreienced. Make sure the capacitor is properly grounded by checking the screw holding it in place and tighten it. There is an electronic module that provides fire coil/sparkplug (can't remember exactly which) that can go bad. My opinion would be to replace anything in the top of the distributor that can be replaced - what do you have to loose.

It's called a coil over ignition system. 454 L-21. I ran 2 of them in a 32' Scarab race boat...same problem! Lots of fun when one dies at 92 knots... :angry:<_<

Go to any Auto Store...get several!

Carl