rfsod48

Tire Mounting

I'm going to have my rear tires unmounted to install new metal valve stems and I was wondering if I could mount the outer tire of the duals so that the valve stem faces outward so that it doesn't need a curved stem? I have no plans to rotate these tires and it would make airing up much easier.

Talk to the shop but I don't see any reason you can't. The only problem I could think of is if they were to long and stuck ot where they might get damaged. But you are changing them out the shop should be able to install appropriate length ones.

Happy Thanksgiving

Bill

Also, for the inside dual. there is a rubber plug installed on the outer wheel that will support the inside dual valve stem. I think the Alcoa web site has them listed for their wheels.

If you look at almost all of the current coaches with aluminum wheels, the outer dual has the stem pointing outward and usually is a much shorter stem so it doesn't look as hokey. I am aware of the position of the stem because I saw the difficulty in installing and removing the Tire Minder transmitter on the outer dual so I designed a tool to facilitate the chore. Hopefully it will be available in the near future.

Have you considered putting on Alligator Tire Valves? They seal and they do not have to be unscrewed to put air in or let air out. I used them for several years before I purchased a TPMS system. The outer dual had a short valve with the alligator valve on it and the inner had a 4" valve with an alligator valve on it. Worked great.

Edited: use a dual head tire inflator. For the outer you pull the inflator on the aligator valve and for the inner you push the inflator.

Google is your friend.

When our tires aged out and were replaced we had the tire shop use a short stem with a 30 degree or so bend for the outer tires. It has worked out well with no problems. Now all the TPMS caps are outside. Makes it easy to check air and replace the TPMS batteries.

I'm going to have my rear tires unmounted to install new metal valve stems and I was wondering if I could mount the outer tire of the duals so that the valve stem faces outward so that it doesn't need a curved stem? I have no plans to rotate these tires and it would make airing up much easier.

Sorry but I know of no wheels made with the valve hole on what would be on the outside the outer wheel is a dual position. All wheels have but one valve hole and it would be on the "outside" when the wheel is mounted on the front (single) position and on the "inside" when the wheel is mounted in the "outer position" when in dual application.

I've had the Duallyvalve kit on my dual tires for years. Both valve stems can be easily accessed from the exterior. These are valve stems, not valve stem extensions. Online, search "Duallyvalve kit." You'll be happy.

Lori Singels