bjrbholbrook

Check Gauges Message On Dashboard

Have 2006 Holiday Rambler. Ford f53 chassis. After 9 years engine battery died. Replaced with same size battery. Now, when parked, I get, intermittent, a clicking sound from the dashboard area, then a short beep and then check gauges message comes to dashboard.

Engine cranks fine as usual, only gauge is fuel gauge until engine is run and other gauges come up to normal. No problems when traveling, just when parked. Have to disconnect battery to get problem to stop. Beep is loud when camping and all is quiet.

Any suggestions.

I have an actron code reader that I use to read and erase codes on our three gas powered vehicles. Perhaps you can borrow one from a friend or purchase one? They have come way down over the years in price. Losing power sometimes upsets ECMs.

If the problem is when the ignition key is off I suspect a problem with a ignition relay. Find the relay for your chassis and disconnect it to see if problem goes away. If so with a test light see if the relay is being activated by the ignition switch. If not bad relay, if so bad ignition switch.

If memory serves me, the F53 column has a plastic part with a gear on it that moves when the ignition is turned. They were prone for the pin on the one end to loosen up and cause the ignition switch (not the key switch) which is located down the column, to hang partially engaged. It should be simple to access and remove the two torx mounting screws, remove it from the column and operate it by hand and see if it stops.

You can identify it easily, it's tan with a bunch of wires in a plug connecting to the side of it, the connector has a bolt going through the center (wiring harness is bolted to the switch).

I guess that it could be a coincidence that replacing the battery actually started the ignition switch problem. You guys know about the wiring in the column. I certainly don't. Good luck and Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas Huff/ Wish we were there. There is a way around the LA mess when you head home. Ran it a number of times to miss LA traffic, Banning scales and Castaic scales. Starts on Ca 62 north to Yucca Valley. Send me a PM if you want directions. All good roads and light traffic. Found it myself. Would never go any other way if I did not deliver in the LA area.

ObedB you may be right but if it was me if vehicle don't start from dead battery I turn the ignition switch harder. :lol:

Absolutely if a light won't come on you didn't snap the switch hard enough or enough times. :P:D

I wonder if the original poster pulls the key from the ignition switch? Perhaps that would stop the noise and the reason to unhook the starting battery? Just a guess, but my 2005 F-150 is noisy when the door is opened and the key is not removed. Probably the same wiring since his is a 2006 chassis. Perhaps many of us tend to leave the key in the switch on our DPs? I do.

Still looking for an answer. Hooked diagnostic monitor into system. Did not read any problems. Problem is same with key in switch or off.

RV cranks and runs good. No problems when traveling. No lights or messages come on. I keep fuel tank topped off. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

bjrbholbrook,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum and posting a question. See you have had an account for a few years!

You might want to try calling Ford Chassis Service Assistance at 1-800-444-3311.

Think they are open 24/7 and ask what might be causing the issue.

Rich.