rfsod48

I 30 Little Rock to Dallas

Question

Has anyone recently traveled I30 Little Rock to Dallas? This is a possible route for us on our trip to Arizona.

Thanks,

Roland

Roland,

The steak Bill is speaking of is at the Big Tex Steak house on I-40 in Amarillo. When it first opened many years ago it was on Route 66. They have a 72 oz. with potatoes, salad and roll. All of which you must eat in one hour. If you do it is free. If not you must pay. Once you start you can not leave the table. If you throw up you are through. They have a wall full of those that have eaten the whole thing. However there are many more that did not eat the whole thing then those that did. It is one of those places you have to go to at least once in your travels.

Herman

Herman,

In my day I could have eaten that steak but now I am lucky to get a 16 oz ribeye down! While I would love to go there, I am leary of the northern Texas weather. At Memphis we will check and decide. We have 10 degrees here but by Saturday it is suppose to be low 30's"

Roland

Roland,

You absolutely have the correct approach. Check weather and THEN determine best route.

And, for us, if not in a huge hurry, don't hesitate to wait a day or two for the right "weather window". Learned this when sailing-- much more critical to pick a "weather window" when headed off-shore!

I-40 from Memphis to Oklahoma City is a wash board (rough). <_< Then good to Amarillo, great RV Resort in Vega (5 miles W off Amarillo). :) Was there last September.

Big Tex is like Wall's Drug Store, you got to do it once...Spring, nice!

Weather in Texas = rain, sleet, snow, ice, wind storm, all in one day! :lol: Going from Amarillo South to I-20 via Lubbock in winter, is no walk in the park either!

This time off year, I-10 from Van Horn, TX. to Lordsburg, NM is subject to Dust Storms and Lordsburg to Benson, AZ is subject

to Snow Storms, especially Texas Canyon!

Carl

Thanks Brett and Carl,

Like I said we will go to Memphis and check things. Will probably go to Little Rock and then south to Dallas. Thanks for the info on 40 Carl. We are allowing 9 days to get there, hopefully only take 7.

Roland