Sign in to follow this  
BOBODELL56

Installation Articulating Bed In 2015 Discovery

I want to replace my current bed with an articulating bed, one that the head and feet move. The reason is that I cannot sleep more than about 2 hours in any traditional flat bed, no matter the composition of the bed, due to multiple spinal surgeries and permanent nerve pain. I currently have to sleep in my recliner, which is by no means ideal. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can source a suitable articulating bed? It needs to fit on top of the slide out platform that is currently underneath our bed mattress.

My wife and I want to become full-timers when she retires in about 2 years, and I really want the bed in place prior to that milestone. Thanks ahead of time for good input.

With out knowing what coach I am only guessing. If you put your coach info in your signature you will get better answers. See my signature as an example.

Bill

I don't believe that I have ever seen an articulating bed before, sounds pretty uncomfortable. I do have an adjustable bed by Legget and Platt "the head and feet move up and down", in my motorhome with a memory foam mattress, queen size.

I ordered it off e-bay, and have been very happy with the results. My wife has esophagus disorders and requires that she sleep with her upper body elevated. All sizes are available, but I don't know if the shorter RV size platform is available, but I would bet that it is.

I looked up his floor plan, he's got a 60" x 80" queen with memory foam now. Kay's should fit and "articulation" is the wrong terminology. Head/feet move.

Carl

I have thoughts on the "hospital type bed" for Bob Odell's coach. Many folks can understand his plight. I applauded his desire to continuing to RV with his bad back. Do they make a duel bed where each side has their own controls? With such a setup will he continue to have access below the bed, that type of bed can be extremely heavy? How will it be secured?

Keep up the search Bob, hope you find a solution so you and your DW are able to see this great country of ours for a long time.

Herman

Here is the L&P Q&A page: http://www.lpadjustablebeds.com/faq.asp

My bed is not controlled independently, both sides raise and lower with only one control. The King size version will have two controls and you will need a split mattress. Yes the bed frame is heavier than just a mattress on top of the motor box, but it can be fastened down to the motor box.

A simple rig can be used to lift the foot end and still provide motor access. If he has a memory foam mattress already and is comfortable sleeping on it, can be used on the adjustable bed. I did find special fitted sheets to use on the adjustable bed so we do not have to use suspenders to keep the sheet in place. There are several brands available, but I chose L&P because of support.

The bed control box plugs into 110 volt outlet, but transforms to 36 volts, it comes with an auxiliary box that you install 4 nine volt batteries into which can be used in an emergency situation.

Yes, I did get a chuckle out of "articulating", as I was thinking about moving right to left.

Good luck with your search bobodell, if you have any questions that I might answer, feel free to PM anytime.

Just looked, again, and there is a split queen now available, would need to change mattress to split.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGGETT-AND-PLATT-SIMPLICITY-SPLIT-QUEEN-ADJUSTABLE-BED-new-ADD-MEMORY-FOAM-/171822350239?hash=item280168ff9f:g:dzIAAOSwpdpVb17E

Kay

Thanks for all of your posts. I guess that I misspoke when I said "articulating bed". I should have said adjustable bed. I will research the Leggett and Platt bed. It has to mount directly on top of the platform that the mattress rests on. Head clearance would be the biggest issue.

I will try to fix the issue of my coach info appearing in each of my posts.

Thanks again.

This post is directed to "kaypsmith". Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your bed setup? What sort of rig are you referring to for slide out motor access? We would prefer not to lose the current storage that we have underneath the bed. Although I do not know your particular setup, mine would need to sit directly on top of the hinged platform that slides in and out with the driver side slide-out. Two concerns are: 1) headroom, and 2) motor clearance (the legs would probably need to be shortened to address concern #1).

The reason that I used the word "articulating" is that, for instance, a Sleep Number bed is "adjustable", although it is only the firmness that is adjustable. I wanted to differentiate between that type of bed and a bed where the head a feet were adjustable. I had a Sleep Number in my previous coach, but it was not sufficient to address my medical issues. Again, sorry for any confusion.

OK, the base comes in a box with no legs attached, it can be mounted right on top of your slide box without attaching any legs at all. I do not have a concern for accessing the motor through a motor box as the bed does not cover the access inside my coach. Actually I was referring to the diesel coach motorbox, many diesel pushers have a box built over the diesel motor, you must lift the top to access the diesel motor in such a configuration.

The motorized bed frame measures from the bottom of the base to the top of the foundation that the mattress rest's on is slightly less than 9 inches, I am using a 10 inch memory foam mattress, and with 10 inch legs, from floor to top of the bed is 29 inches, please remember this measurement is with the bed in the flat position, and of course when you raise the head of the bed this will increase as the head goes higher, and same for the foot end of the bed.

The bed does decrease in length when raising both head and foot ends by close to 12 inches. I tried to attach pictures but could not attach more than 5.09 k, less than half the size of a postage stamp, therefore such a picture is useless.

I did PM you a message and will be glad to send them to you otherwise, while I try to set up a photo bucket account. Hope my
description is not too confusing, will try to clarify if needed. One other thought, mattresses can be bought ranging from 6 to 18 inches in thickness to help with height concerns.

Just added shutterfly account "https://kaypsmith.shutterfly.com/pictures/20".

Kay