Vanha Pieru

Storage Compartment Replacement

Has anyone removed and replaced a basement storage compartment? 2002 Winne Journey 36DL

The water control/elec cord compartment behind driver side rear is caved in, suspect a blown tire or driven over something.

If someone has input on this as a DIY project I would appreciate it. Does not Look like too bad a project but appreciate input.

Thanks!

Vanha Pieru,

Welcome to the FMCA Forums!

I have never done any compartment work like that. Take photos of the before and after and post them on the gallery.

Sounds like that will keep you busy for a weekend.

Vanha,

You might try googling RV Salvage. There a number of them across the country and they may have just what you need. Colaws in Carthridge Missouri comes to mind.

Herman

Good suggestion, here's the number: 877-548-2125.

What kind of material is it made of? My compartments are a kind of plastic and I think if I had a dent I might try heating them up with a heat gun and use a big plastic mallet to bump out the dent.

Bill

Thanks for the responses. I tried the closer salvage places but no luck so far. This compartment is metal, I may have to take it off & cut off the bad part (front half), than put in some new sheet metal. We repaired one ofthse plastic ones with a couple cracks, I melted in some other plastic (like soldering) than sprayed some of that sealer over both sides. So far no leaks about a year later.

I have the same coach. Just had a look at the compartment. From what I can see, if the water control center is still OK, you should be able to cut the bottom portion off and replace with new metal. You might want to try and find a "friendly" sheet metal shop who will spend some time cutting the metal for you. You'll need to do some scale drawings for the cutting part. I've done this kind of thing before and it's a BIG job, but not impossible. You might also try Dave Balser at RV ONE Inc. in Elkhart IN. This is the kind of stuff Dave is good at. Don't have his number handy but he has a web site.

I'm thinking of replacing the floor in this compartment due to rusting issues. Good luck.

Vanha.

If you take it out, why not replace it with plastic? Then drill some small holes for drainage....that's what I have!

Carl