blakeloke

Plugging Into 50 amp At Home

I always make sure the campground breakers are open before I connect my shore power cord. However, after some idle time thought to what you all are saying......I have never walked over to the breaker box to open the circuit when I'm at home.

Should I do this too? I think easy enough for me to install a slave breaker just upstream of the plug in so my lazy b^&t doesn't have to walk over to the main panel.

Thanks for your replies :)

Blake

Come on now Blake, Conroe in fairly level and we can all use a little bit of exercise.

Is your outlet inside in a box where you could change it out for box with a breaker?

Herman

Hey....Herman....that's a great idea. The one about the changing the outlet out for one that has a breaker. Not so sure about the "exercise" though! Whenever we are done driving for the day, even at home, Deb hands me a cold beer before I start my "outside" the coach duties. Walking over to the breaker box might slosh it around too much! :D

Thanks!

Blake

Yes, plugging in with power OFF is better. The heavier the load, the more important it is.

Not having power off when plugging in can be done, but falls in to the category of "what I got away with" rather than "best practices".

Hard wire a Progressive Industries 50 amp surge with voltage protection will solve of having to hit the breakers. Voltage will only flow only when the circuit is approve. The best investment you can make to your coach. They have a limited lifetime warranty and BBB rating of A+. The hard wired one protects you from a bad cord so I recommend that over the portable one. Link below is one of very good price and the second link is to the manufacture.

https://jet.com/product/detail/30d648357bb84626819727a473eee624?jcmp=pla:ggl:electronics_a1:electronics_accessories_power_power_strips_surge_suppressors_a1_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=4a0f955d-a0a1-41a6-88f6-b8e469c404bf&abkId=403-187134&gclid=Cj0KEQiA3t-2BRCKivi-suDY24gBEiQAX1wiXNBmLlBh6xZqMLdfG72Zk5jkTq4UqOj3ZMIkMe45Dz8aAmvR8P8HAQ

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Thanks Brett and Huff. I'll look into the Progressive Industries protector. Until then, advice well taken.

Now back to tiling the upstairs bathroom.

Blake

You could install a 50 amp air conditioner quick disconnect box right ahead of your current plug in. Can be picked up at most box store building supply, that way you are not wearing out the 50 amp breaker, or sloshing beer all over the place.

I agree with Huff, My 30 amp breaker is in basement and it would be difficult to locate outside. My 30 amp Progressive hard wire delays input until everything has been checked. Saves me a lot of running.

Main reason for me to have a breaker is to prevent arching when I plug in....I don't want to light my self up! Also, saves the plug! You can wait 2 minutes for the beer! If not, you have a bigger problem! :P:blink:

Carl

I have to run to Home Depot today for other stuff. I'll check out what they have. I like the Progressive idea too.

"Exercise" and "wait 2 minutes for the beer"? You guys are gonna keep me healthy through retirement! :D

I have to run to Home Depot today for other stuff. I'll check out what they have. I like the Progressive idea too.

"Exercise" and "wait 2 minutes for the beer"? You guys are gonna keep me healthy through retirement! :D

What are friends for......right! :lol:

Main reason for me to have a breaker is to prevent arching when I plug in....I don't want to light my self up! Also, saves the plug! You can wait 2 minutes for the beer! If not, you have a bigger problem! :P:blink:

Carl

Carl there will be no arching if the cord is dead which will be until the progressive unit throws it's relays. If course I'm also afraid of campground pedestals but their breakers are also inside the box. :o

In campgrounds, I always make sure that breaker is off. I have been in some parks, where I take a tester and make sure its off before plugging in.

Carl

If my understanding is correct it can be lifesaving to have the breaker off before plugging in or unplugging your rig, especially at 50A. There is a thing called 'Arc Flash' and it can burn you very badly. Not common at 220v, but possible and you might not get a second chance. Technically even throwing the breaker calls for protective face shield and gloves. No I do not break out insulated gloves and a face shield, I do turn the power off.

When it comes to electrical, any voltage will arch! Don't know where you get the "face shield/glove" thing from?! In RV application, we are not dealing with High Power Lines and power assisted breakers. Just the normal 50A!

I had a tower throw a bunch of sparks out and begin to smoke when I flipped the breaker on at a KOA in OK. I jumped out of my shoes that day, not to many kind words came flying out of my mouth at the same time either. I had my left hand on the tower and got a shock, ever since this is how I connect.

I always just hold the breaker with my right hand and never lean on or touch the tower with the other. I have got in the habit of turning it on....no sparks.....plug my tower tester in....it gives the all good verbal notification...breaker off...plug my surge protector in....breaker back on, plug the coach into the surge protector. At home I flip the breaker off....connect my surge protector...breaker back on, plug the coach in while the surge protector counts down to connecting.

Be careful plugging in, most CG's are good, but some are not. Don't judge the book by its cover.

Yes, I understand the arc flash that Jim is talking about. My wife and I spent a few decades in the oil and gas industry and there are some pretty stringent safety codes out there to protect employees from very low voltage through 12kv (which was just about the highest our guys worked with routinely). At one time, we gave each employee a Fluke "pen" that they could use to touch a breaker box with. If the little light on the "pen" lit up that would be indication that something was wrong.

We've been really busy lately doing a remodel at the house upstairs. But, Deb and I were talking about Huff's suggestion of installing a surge protector which led to her thinking we have one on the coach already...if so, it was a factory install.

So, poor memory is catching up on me and I really don't remember (need to spend more time camping and reconnecting with our coach). But, I do remember there is a slight delay in getting shore power into the coach once I connect. Then the tell tale sign is that I hear a series of clicks when power is granted.

I'll check that out as soon as I get the thin set out from under my fingernails.

Huff......does your Ambassador have a factory installed surge protector? I think our coaches are sisters.

Blake