Sign in to follow this  
haywarm20@gmailcom

Connecting Direct TV HR24 DVR to Old Distribution Box

Looking for Ideas,

I'm a brand new FMCA member getting ready to hit the road in May for a year on the road in my 2004 Monaco and need some ideas.

I've recently updated my satellite to the the newest Winegard SWM dish and switched out the old flat screen Sonys for some Samsung 720p LEDs. I've confirmed that the signal to the front TV works and the picture is exceptional, everything seems to work just fine. The next step is to deal with the old coax distribution box to get the signal to the outside TV and the TV in the bedroom.

My questions is: I'm I going to have to replace the old coax distribution box and run new cable to the other TVs or is there a conversion box or boxes that will go from either HDMI or Component outputs from the Direct TV HR24 DVR to the current coax distribution box. I've been running the over the airway signals from the old crank-up antenna to these TVs and the picture is fine with me, so I don't want to pull new wire if I don't need to. I can live with SD on these two TVs.

Is there an easy solution or not.

Rid yourself of the distribution box. Old technology. I trashed mine and do not miss it. You should easily be able to identify the two cables headed to the outside tv and the bedroom tv. The splitter that comes with the Winegard package will send HD to four receivers. If your unit did not come with the splitter, the installer short changed you. Regardless. You need that splitter. Don't settle for an aftermarket unit. Be sure that it is from Winegard. I use solidsignal.com for my purchases but there are a lot of places to buy from. If you don't have one you could even call Winegard. After spending the money for that dish, why settle for standard def. Good luck.

Re/. Genie from Direct TV. I have not used one , but I understand the unit transmits to multiple TVs and have heard they work in a motorhome. I use the HD24 receiver in the bedroom and their HD22 DVR up front. We have a cable routed to a lower compartment from Tiffin but two sets are enough for us.

Are you using multiple receivers, or planning to send the same signal to all TV's?

If you want to use the splitter, and continue using the old coax, the Genie system from direct works great, there is a main receiver, then the daughter boxes can be placed close to the other TV's. The daughter boxes do incur the additional charge for each additional one that you use, they are very small, 4" deep. 7" wide, and 1 1/4" thick, has its own remote, and uses the dvr from the main box, and you can record up to 5 channels at the same time.

Looking for Ideas,

I'm a brand new FMCA member getting ready to hit the road in May for a year on the road in my 2004 Monaco and need some ideas.

I've recently updated my satellite to the the newest Winegard SWM dish and switched out the old flat screen Sonys for some Samsung 720p LEDs. I've confirmed that the signal to the front TV works and the picture is exceptional, everything seems to work just fine. The next step is to deal with the old coax distribution box to get the signal to the outside TV and the TV in the bedroom.

My questions is: I'm I going to have to replace the old coax distribution box and run new cable to the other TVs or is there a conversion box or boxes that will go from either HDMI or Component outputs from the Direct TV HR24 DVR to the current coax distribution box. I've been running the over the airway signals from the old crank-up antenna to these TVs and the picture is fine with me, so I don't want to pull new wire if I don't need to. I can live with SD on these two TVs.

Is there an easy solution or not.

Welcome,

If I understand, you would like satellite picture on all three tv's.

Unless someone already coax cabled a second feed to the bedroom and outside your coach only came with 1 coax feed to those locations used for, over the air and park cable.

With that said, a second coax will only give you a satellite signal to that location or you can use the existing coax and not have over the air and park cable, you will need a DirecTv receiver at each tv.

If you do not have a second coax to the other locations and you want to continue to receive over the air and park cable you have two choices, 1 - cable HDMI or component to each location and "mirror" watch the same thing using one receiver

or

Install a Genie (HR 44) with a Wireless Video Bridge (WVB-025) and Wireless Genie Mini (C 41W) for the bedroom and outside tv.

When you remove the switch box you will need to install an antenna / park cable switch. currently both sources are feed into the switch box and then distributed to the tv's.

Hope this helps.

I'm not opposed to having a box at each location, but since I already have coax to both locations (one cable) and a distribution box which allows me to change the input from the CD player, tv antenna, and a spot for a satelite. I think I'll try the splitter first, then if that doesn't work, I'll look at possibly using the Genie system.

Thank you both for you suggestions. I'll let you know how things work out.

I'm not opposed to having a box at each location, but since I already have coax to both locations (one cable) and a distribution box which allows me to change the input from the CD player, tv antenna, and a spot for a satelite. I think I'll try the splitter first, then if that doesn't work, I'll look at possibly using the Genie system.

Thank you both for you suggestions. I'll let you know how things work out.

The switch box will allow you to send the satellite feed to the other TV's, you will need a RF Modulator (takes the composite, Yellow, Red, White) connection from the back of the receiver and modulate so it can pass through coax to the TV's.

With the modulator you will watch what ever is in the main TV (mirror) on channel 3 or 4 and be aware the picture will be in standard definition and you will most likely have to use the it TV's cable tuner.

If you are going to use only one receiver, you may want to change, if you have not already, to a UHF remote control. This is what I do, it allows you to be in any location and change the channels, as well as turning the receiver on and off and setting up the receiver. The UHF remote is available through DirecTV customer support.

Geoff, great to have your expert knowledge onboard.

kaypsmith, Thank you :)

I believe the remote you are referring to would be an "RF" radio frequency.

The H-24 receivers will work with both "IR" infer red (line of sight) and RF remotes. Just follow the instructions in the Remote Set-up section.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.  I now have everything working as desired: satellite to all three TVs, can change channels from anywhere and have surround-sound for both TV and DVDs.  Picture is great, thanks again to all of you for your suggestions.

Ok, I have a question. I recently bought a 07 Fleetwood Excursion 39s. I can only get a signal (from the crank-up ant) on my front over-the-dash HD TV. The bedroom tv and the outside units only get snow! I tried a DVD on the back bedroom set and it works just fine. I have tried for several hours to get a picture on the other two but can't succeed. Any ideas where to start?

Bruce 

Just installed a new Winegard SK 1000 dish. Decided that I didn't want the selector box. I install every thing the same way as our satellite at home is done. I connected the over the air antenna and the cable TV coaxes together into my 722 Dish Network receiver. I will in the future run a coax from a DVD player into the front TV so we may, if we want, watch movies. 

Now the DW may watch what she wants to on the front TV, chick flicks, and I can watch what I want to on the bedroom TV. The one mistake I made was that both TVs are the same brand, Vizio.  When turning on or off one TV and the door is open it will do the same to the second TV.:o However both TVs work very well.

Happy DW :D so things are good.

On June 2, 2016 at 6:18 AM, BruceN53 said:

Ok, I have a question. I recently bought a 07 Fleetwood Excursion 39s. I can only get a signal (from the crank-up ant) on my front over-the-dash HD TV. The bedroom tv and the outside units only get snow! I tried a DVD on the back bedroom set and it works just fine. I have tried for several hours to get a picture on the other two but can't succeed. Any ideas where to start?

Bruce 

A lot more information is needed. Splitter? Distribution box? Booster? and so on.

If I took a guess, it may be that the Over The Air/crank-up (OTA) antenna signal is only being sent to your front tv. You would need to trace the coax from the other tv's to the area the coax comes from the OTA and see if there is a splitter and it the splitter working?