manholt

HEST Lamp Came On

In the past, when light came on it was the high temp burn off of the particulate. Exhaust #1 would go to around 1150 degrees and #2 to around 1250 to 1350 degrees...both for about 10 to 12 minutes.

Today, #1 went to 750 and #2 to 1100...the difference was today I had lots of exhaust in coach with the stench of raw fuel. I pulled over at a off ramp and could hardly see the bedroom....no alarms or lights from dash or Silver Leaf. After about 10 minutes with windows open and fans on the HEST light went off and when I put coach in gear 4, and drove to Campground the temps on #1 and #2 was at 425!

I don't feel or hear anything different. Could this be caused by the last Cummins visit when I had all filters replaced?

Carl

I'm glad I don't have one of them new fangle dangle newer diesel with all the EPA stuff on it. My coach don't even have a EGR on it. Love it!

Puff.

Your right! Amazing how much BS happened in 4 years, in part because of Al Gore and the new and improved EPA ! Global Warming is real, but the world could go back to horse and buggy, no modern technology and we still can't stop GW! :angry::(:lol:

In the meantime, I need some peace of mind on my current problem....if I have a problem? :(

Carl

Carl, sounds like you have an exhaust leak. The raw fuel smell is probably contributed to the engine in regeneration mode sending raw fuel down the exhaust pipe to burn off the soot in the particulate filter, that part is normal, if you smell it inside and have smoke you most likely have an exhaust leak, which would also explain the lower burn temps. The reason you don't hear anything could be a small crack in a pipe at the moment, as the leak gets worse so should the sound, smoke, foul odors etc. Seems like its between the engine and the DPF.

These new engines have these IMHO cheap made flex pipes that crack causing all sorts of exhaust leak scenarios. Our Parts warehouse here stocks a pallet of each for the common road tractors at work, we replace them often. I am not entirely convinced some were not caused by mechanics.

Take it to a Cummins service center and get it looked at ASAP.

Update. Per Cummins Coach Care at both Atlanta and Jackson. It is as Joe said. They feel that since I have gone thru the re-generation process and temps went down to 425, I should have no problems with taking my coach back to Cummins Houston via Gladewater, TX. Drop it off for a week next Monday. Cummins felt that it should have been detected when I was in for my massive B to B service earlier 5 weeks ago, so it's no cost to me !

I promise not to do 85 mph over a bumpy road (Just kidding).

Carl

Carl, just curious, how often does it go into regeneration average miles between etc? On those years (PRE SCR or DEF) I only have experience with CAT, some 6.7L Cummins.

Just comparing notes in my mind.

I'm glad I don't have one of them new fangle dangle newer diesel with all the EPA stuff on it. My coach don't even have a EGR on it. Love it!

I'm with huffypuff. Older is not so bad!

Carl, a nice used Prevost or Newell would look good in the background when we photo our two jeeps together. :wub::lol: .....No wait....that will trigger my DW to push for one, never mind :D

I e-mailed a tech with this thread. Here is his response (no first hand info on my part):

That is not how the regeneration works. Temp difference at DPF filter at inlet and outlet will determine if regen .
In most cases air leak at ARD Head will prevent Regen and there 3 sensor, one at both ends of DPF filter and up at the igniter.
If raw fuel is present at DPF filter igniter did not start Regen.

Carl, a nice used Prevost or Newell would look good in the background when we photo our two jeeps together. :wub::lol: .....No wait....that will trigger my DW to push for one, never mind :D

I think this one would look great as a back drop and it will pull the jeep. :P:o

http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/newell_coach/2006--newell--45--C1832

Bill

Brett, must be a CAT tech, ARD head screams last generation of CAT. Boy does that bring back bad memories, ugg. Cummins uses a 7th injector in the exhaust or over fuels cylinder 6 for regeneration depending on the year and engine model. Simple design not over engineered like the CAT with the ARD design that spun them out of the on highway industry. When I locate some detailed manuals on this design I will forward it over in a PM, interesting reading material.

Joe

How to answer all this ! :o

Joe. regen is normally about 4,000 miles +/- depending, when I went to Redmond, OR and back, it came on twice. From house to NC and back one time. This was the first time in about 5,000 miles. Don't seem to be an exact science! <_<

ObedB. Been thinking !

Bill. I was on that site last week... :D looking at a Nimbus! :rolleyes: Kind of strange, because Foretravel was holding a Nimbus 08' for me, when I found this one! :blink::)

Brett. CAT Tech? or Cummins? The reason I ask, it's not what CCC in Atlanta and Jackson said, when I called them yesterday ! :blink: Apparently it's a common problem with pre 2010 engines...leaks! Mine is a December 2009. 425 HP. I know that coach factory re arrange things to suit their coach design, but do they also mess with exhaust system? :unsure:

Carl

Carl, Joe was talking Newell so I was showing him one that would look good behind the jeep (in a photo) and also would tow it. Do you think we should email the link to his wife? :P

Bill

Hate to blow his DW's bubble...I don't think she has a clue as to what a Custom coach cost ! :lol: She hates slide outs. :rolleyes:

Carl, she knows. Thankfully she doesn't want slides since we do spend a considerable amount of time on the roads and they are just in the way. She wants more windshield time in a few years so I think I'm safe. So no slides = older coach = lower cost. My math works....so far anyway.

Bill I cruise that sealed inventory often. I saw that coach and it's beautiful.

Time for an update on my exhaust problem! 

Spartan Chassis had a recall in August 2015 for the flex pipe, that Joe was referring to.  I received the notice from Spartan this past December and after calling Spartan, had it shipped to Cummins in Houston and they did the install this past Wed.  Now, I have no smell of exhaust in coach and both exhaust #1 & 2 are at the same temp +/- 20 degrees at 525.  Coach ran good coming to Schulenburg, TX. all parameters on Silver Leaf was at the proper numbers, not mpg as I had a 30/40 mph head wind....got 4.7 at 60 on CC.:(:rolleyes:

Big thanks to everyone for your input...:D This "Rolling Earthquake" is on the road to AZ.

Carl