thetabe49

1996 Caterpillar w/ 3126

I have a 1996 Safari Sahara with 83,159 miles ,with a 3126 Cat.

Coming back from a trip, my Cat was loosing power. The Cat would not turn enough RPM to shift out of 4th gear. I drove 51 miles like that. I took it to my place and changed the fuel filter and water separator filter. I found a small amount of black slim in the water separator.  After priming the Cat. I had a problem to start it. Once it started, I drove back home 19 miles away. That Cat ran like a broke **** dog. Motor ran great, transmission shifted great. Parked it in my garage.

I went back one week later and it started and ran good in place. One week later I started that Cat. up again in my garage. It ran on fast idle great, but when it idled down it stop. The only way to start it now is with ether. Ether runs out the Cat. stops. One guy came by and say my high pressure oil pump is only putting out 620 Lb. of pressure according to his computer read out.

Another  young mechanic came out and said his read out shows the injectors are working fine. My on board computer gives me a code 55 which is no fault.

Friends I 'm not looking to fix this Cat. for nothing, but I don't want to change parts that should not be changed. Professionally I run a one man, Custom Upholstery Shop. I am out of my league with this problem.

Thank you so much for your time and troubles you took out of your busy day to read this.

Yes, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Pull the primary fuel filter again and check for issues (water, particles or black slime= algae).

If your fuel system is contaminated, it easy to clog a number of filters.

Basically, no fuel flow, no go!

And STRONGLY recommend against using ether.  You have an intake manifold heater on that engine.  Red hot wire and an explosive (ether) are NOT a good combination!

3 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Yes, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Pull the primary fuel filter again and check for issues (water, particles or black slime= algae).

If your fuel system is contaminated, it easy to clog a number of filters.

Basically, no fuel flow, no go!

And STRONGLY recommend against using ether.  You have an intake manifold heater on that engine.  Red hot wire and an explosive (ether) are NOT a good combination!

Thank you. I will pull those filters again tomorrow and change them again if needed.

thetabe49, you just described the same problem I had in 2014. What I thought was algae (thanks to Brett) actually turned out to be deteriorated fuel line between the tank and the fuel water separator. When I looked at what was in my filter it had shards of rubber and black slime. At first it looked like algae, upon further inspection (cutting the filter open) is where I found the fragments of fuel line. I also had a raw fuel smell in the basement area, that's not to say you would experience the same depending on how the coach was built.

If your primary filter is not full when you remove it, you could have the same problem I did. If it is full I would lean toward the algae problem.

I sincerely hope you just have an algae problem. I saw this product at my local NAPA to remove water but it also helps remove algae from a fuel tank.

link to NAPA http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL4582

Here is the link to my fuel line mess.

If you have algae in your tank you need to put an algaeside (not sure of the spelling). This will help clear up your fuel.

All folks that stay in the same place for extended periods of time need to park with a full tank with a fuel conditioner.

Herman