Deltron

1995 Allegro Bus Power Steering Noise

The power steering is growling just like a car that's low on fluid. The remote reservoir for the power steering is foaming.

The chassis is a 5.9 Cummins/Allison pusher Oshkosh.

Thank You. :)

5 hours ago, Deltron said:

The power steering is growling just like a car that's low on fluid. The remote reservoir for the power steering is foaming.

Welcome to the forum. Can you see if it is low when cold? It may just have some air in the system. Try turning the wheels from lock to lock a couple of times. does the fluid look like it might be contaminated? 

Bill

Deltron, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Note:From the Chassis manual for you Oshkosh Chassis

Should you notice any change in effort required to steer during vehicle operation, have the power steering checked. A hissing sound at full left or right steering wheel position is nominal.

CAUTION: Never hold the steering wheel against the stops(extreme right or left) for more then five seconds. If you hold the wheel against the stops longer than five seconds the power steering pump could be damaged.

The power steering system uses DEXTRON III Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent.Do not mix with any other hydraulic fluid !!!

The Reservoir is located in the rear right corner as you look at the radiator-filler cap is on the left upper corner!!

Rich.

Note. I do not have the information on the power steering pump location in any of my documentation, but the fact that your coach is powered by a Cummings 5.9 Engine. The power steering pump is probably located in the right rear corner and is connected in series with the air compressor. This allows the power steering pump to share the same drive system that powers the air compressor. The Compressor is gear driven from the(Front of the engine) Rear is this case because the engine is turned around when installed in a diesel pusher style coach.

17 hours ago, Deltron said:

Check for a filter.  If it has one change it and the fluid.  It should not be foaming.

It is not low on fluid. It steers perfectly. I wasn't aware there is a filter someplace. I didn't know about an air compressor either, I just picked up this coach.

Where may I get a chassis manual for the Oshkosh chassis? I believe I need to learn a whole lot very fast. The only chassis I've ever dealt with is the GM P30/32 units.

This is a 34' Allegro Bus.

14 hours ago, Deltron said:

It is not low on fluid. It steers perfectly. I wasn't aware there is a filter someplace. I didn't know about an air compressor either, I just picked up this coach.

Where may I get a chassis manual for the Oshkosh chassis? I believe I need to learn a whole lot very fast. The only chassis I've ever dealt with is the GM P30/32 units.

This is a 34' Allegro Bus.

Delton, Your power steering system does not have a filter in the system !!!! It came about on the newer coaches and mainly on the ones with the side mounted radiator and CAC that use hydraulic motors to run the fans.

Rich.

Deltron, I will see if I can find the link to the manual. Kind of remember it is about 200 pages. So you might want to have a good WiFi link speed when down loading ! Welcome to the world of diesel powered coaches. Your coach chassis is set up different in many ways when compared to the ones built by Freightliner after they picked up the Oshkosh line. Freightliner should still have information on your chassis. You might want to contact the Custom Chassis division for RV. You will need the Vin number of the chassis on hand when you call.

NOW where did I save that link?

Oshkosh XC-21RDX.pdf (10.46 MB, 101 views)

Deltron, The weak link for the group is not knowing just how your chassis brake system is set. Hydraulic over hydraulic, Air over hydraulic or air brakes. Also ! There have been some recalls that you should check into and see if they where done.

1995 Oshkosh Vc Vehicle Speed Control Recall 96V156000

NHTSA: Action Number: N/A Service Bulletin Number: 96V156000

• Report Date:
    Aug 27, 1996

• Component:
    Vehicle Speed Control

• Potential Units Affected:

• Manufacturer:
    Oshkosh Truck Corporation

Summary: When the chassis/vehicle is operated on a highway and the cruise control system is turned on, with the speed set, if the stop/hazard fuse has failed, the cruise control will not disengage when the brake pedal is depressed.

Consequence: The cruise control system will not disengage increasing the risk of a vehicle accident.

Remedy: The cruise control circuits will be rewired and a control relay installed to disengage and deactivate the cruise control if an electrical short or fuse failure occurs.

Notes: Owner notification: owner notification is expected to begin in September 1996. Note: owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact freightliner/Oshkosh at 1-414-235-1726. Also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-800-424-9393.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1994 Oshkosh Vc29rd Service Brakes, Air Recall 95V020000

NHTSA: Action Number: N/A Service Bulletin Number: 95V020000

• Report Date:
    Feb 09, 1995

• Component:
    Service Brakes, Air

• Potential Units Affected:

• Manufacturer:
    Oshkosh Truck Corporation

Summary: Air compressor governor sensing line does not sense both front and rear brake system reservoir pressure. A front brake system air leak will not be sensed by the governor and the compressor will fail to resupply the front air system causing a reduction of the front brake system performance.

Consequence: This condition can cause loss of braking capability and increase the potential for a vehicle accident.

Remedy: Dealers will relocate the one way check valve in the inlet airline to the rear service tank and a pressure protection valve will be added to allow the governor to sense both front and rear brake system reservoir pressure.

Notes: System: brakes; air supply system; governor. Vehicle description: chassis model vehicles. Note: if your vehicle is presented to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and the remedy is not provided free of charge within a reasonable time, contact Oshkosh at 1-414-235-1726. Also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

If you have foam you are introducing air to the system and that will make the growling sound as if its low on fluid. Look for any sign of a leak. Since you just purchased it was the system repaired recently and has it done it since you took possession?

Rich, thank you for the manual. Is there an actual service manual for this chassis too?

I assume Freightliner would know if the recalls were done?

--Bill. 

Bill,

Check with Freightliner regarding the Chassis service manual. This is a link to there generic custom chassis service information, not directed to any one specific chassis.

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/fliner2007_XC_maint_manual.pdf

This is a link to some information on servicing the power steering fluid.

http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/crusingator/P/P-061.pdf

With foam in the fluid, that kind of means that air is getting into the system on the suction side or the fluid level is low as mentioned. The trick is to find the suction side-the tank pictured in the link is similar to the one on you coach and maybe replace the suction side line. Kind of hard to find small pin holes. 

Rich.