gelsw

What To Do With Used Oil??

Picking up DP soon and thought I would do own oil changes until realized, where to dump used oil.

Suggestions?

Gary

Gary,

Walmarts and auto parts stores accept used oil.

I buy oil in gallon containers (6 gallons for our Cummins ISL).

Use a funnel and old coffee can to decant from old Rubbermade "drain container" to gallon jugs. 

Put gallon jugs back in 6 gallon cardboard box and drop off.  Never had a problem in 15 years of doing this.

Not a problem, I just re fill the gal containers it came out off. If you don't know for sure if your drain pan is big enough Just use a gal container and fill it with water the first time. :P Makes less mess than overfilling with oil.

What engine do you have? Has the dealer done the annual oil change? If so you should be good for a year or 15000 miles.

I would ask the dealer for a list off all the filter part numbers.

Shell is offering a rebate of $5.00 per gal up to 4 gal on Rotella T5 and T6 I run the T6  and have recieved my refund.

Bill

Sure, I just use an old Rubbermade storage container. Walmart, etc.

Line with two black trash sacks so it doesn't get oil on it. 

thanks for the info!!

Freightliner XCS chassis ( never dreamed I would be joining a chassis and tire group before) with 340 HP Cummins ISB 6.7L. Allison 6 speed 2500 MH transmission.

6 hours ago, ShortBus said:

thanks for the info!!

Freightliner XCS chassis ( never dreamed I would be joining a chassis and tire group before) with 340 HP Cummins ISB 6.7L. Allison 6 speed 2500 MH transmission.

Brett's idea is good if you don't have a big drain pan. You will be changing 4 gallons of oil. Just a heads up when reading about the Cummins on the web. The Doge Cummins is not the same as your Cummins. There are several differences. Oil capacity and filter are a couple. Hear is something you mite like.  

https://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/4971103.pdf

This is a good place to find out about your engine and parts. It is the same place the shop goes to to look up things.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

One thing I recommend is to start a file where you can record your Vin, engine serial number and transmission serial number. When you go to get parts, the first thing they will ask for is your serial number.  I also keep track of all the part numbers that I need or might use. 

Have fun and don't drive your new toy on narrow ice mountin roads.;)

Bill

Thanks for the info! Was wondering if I could just look at a Dodge to see where the engine parts are and learn where things are before lifting the bathroom floor and poking around with a flashlight. 

Gary

Gary, The fact that the engines a mounted backwards and in a totally different space, there are items mounted on them that are in totally different locations then in a Dodge truck. 

The AC compressor will be at the back and the mounting of the unit can be different as well as the alternator and the working space can be considerably tighter. Then there is the air compressor that is not on a Dodge and the location of the power steering pump. Then things can change for different model years and floor plans.

Rich.

I have worked on many Dodges with Cummins power, the engine layout was different than any medium duty truck/RV engine, including the color of the paint. The block and head appeared to be about the only common component, everything hanging off of that looked different. I suspect most items hanging off of the pick up was Dodge, the items on the medium duty engine are all Cummins.