RodgerS

New/Old Cost Of A DP

Below quote from another forum. Can anyone translate it?

"From what I have seen, that (used) 2-5 year old top of the line coach will be more costly than a new Dutch Star or equivalent."

====

(Background: I'm currently looking at Country Coaches in the range of 8 to 10 years old. Ignoring upgrades or remodeling or new tires,

assuming the coach was maintained well per documentation, passes water leak inspection and fluid tests, and otherwise

passes detailed inspection of the house and chassis...unless I'm just unlucky and it is just time for a major chassis failure,

seems like the quote above is not well thought out. )

The quoted statement IS true-- no surprise that a 2-5 your old top of the line coach is more than a mid line new coach.  Same with cars, boats, houses.....

But, not sure the statement has any relevance to your search for an 8-10 year old high end coach.

My observation is that Country Coach is more respected for that period of time over Dutch Star or several others, making it more sought after. Next to Newell or Wanderlodge, and of course the bus conversions. Country Coach was doing bus conversions at that time, and probably still do, and the overall building of them just seems to be of higher quality.

I grilled some steaks last night on hand split mesquite. Rubbed them with a select blend of herbs and spice all bought fresh not dried. 

Bill

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

My observation is that Country Coach is more respected for that period of time over Dutch Star or several others, making it more sought after. Next to Newell or Wanderlodge, and of course the bus conversions. Country Coach was doing bus conversions at that time, and probably still do, and the overall building of them just seems to be of higher quality.

Just a point of clarification:  Like many coach makers Country Coach did NOT build one quality/price range coach.  There was a more than a 100% difference if price between their low and high end/conversion coaches.

Kind of discussing the quality of a Ford-- Lincoln and Fiesta are both Ford products.

CC went belly up when Monaco did.  CC never came back, so they are no longer building anything.  Their top end coach was a Prevost Conversion 45'.  I also don't understand 2-5 when your looking for 8-10 year olds!  As Brett insinuated, you have to compare apples to apples.

Carl

Bill.  Next time try Salt Grass 7 or Slap your Mama on your steak.  I used the 7 this morning for my breakfast Filet Mignon (Prime), with fried heirloom tomato's and eggs. :D

Carl

29 minutes ago, Manholt said:

Bill.  Next time try Salt Grass 7 or Slap your Mama on your steak.  I used the 7 this morning for my breakfast Filet Mignon (Prime), with fried heirloom tomato's and eggs. :D

Carl

Yes that sounds good. But how long was your Filet Mignon (Prime) aged? Was it a wet or dry aging process?

Bill

54 minutes ago, Manholt said:

CC went belly up when Monaco did.  CC never came back, so they are no longer building anything.  Their top end coach was a Prevost Conversion 45'.  I also don't understand 2-5 when your looking for 8-10 year olds!  As Brett insinuated, you have to compare apples to apples.

Carl

Actually, CC is still somewhat alive.  Ron Lee bought all of the property rights and inventory and continued to operate in Oregon, even going so far as to produce ONE new Country Coach recently, as well as providing parts and repairs/sales of the brand.  They just recently sold everything to Winnebago.  It's still a bit unknown what Winnebago's plans will yield.  http://kval.com/news/local/winnebago-to-open-plant-in-junction-city-revive-country-coach-brand

Although this info has nothing to do with the OP's question :)

I just happen to own one of CC's lower end coaches, which is still a fine coach in its own right....heading to Junction City next week to get remodeling ideas and quotes.

Bill:  What time is dinner? :)

This is the only thread I have read in a year that makes sense to me.

I don't see how it is possible to discuss cost issues, without having a good steak and some beers at the same time. 

As usual the truth is very elusive as to who can cook the best steak. 

Before I travel up to look at some Country Coaches in Oregon, I need to figure out if I'm miserable enough/unhappy enough to buy one. 

I almost bought a Country Coach Intrigue before the HR we have now. Beautiful coach, well made great reputation! They are still in existence like Carl A mentioned above, when I called them to inquire about parts (body, most others are universal) they are remaking nose caps and other parts now and their service center is open in Oregon and that was in 2013. Depending on the year, power plant and condition I wouldn't shy away from it unless I saw something that was a concern. Roger, I'm sure you have the inspection side covered, worth a look if it will suite your needs.

Carl A.  I did know that they had the parts, dyes and drawings....did not know they built one....I also wonder what W has got planed. :unsure:

If I was miserable or unhappy about a DP...I would stay home!  Any sane man or woman would...:wacko::rolleyes:

Carl

Bill.  I don't buy my steak pre cut.  I have a walk in cooler at home, low humidity, min 34 days or up to 47.  Just like Luther's in NYC.  :P

I got to find another dog !

Carl 

@Manholt  Yes, Ron Lee built just one for his personal use as a prototype  http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Photos-of-the-2016-Country-Coach-Allure-480.html?soid=1107007864668&aid=Ssl0dTCm7dQ.  He wanted to get CC going again as a viable player in the field, but finances likely prevented him from going forward and he sold to Winny.  Hopefully, Winnebago will seek to keep the quality of CC going and produce them as the high end coaches they're known for.  As far as I know, they plan on continuing with the CC name (as a division of Winnebago).

I'm surprised that it does not have a double sink in bath and it's not an all electric coach.  Interior is too dark for my taste.  Wish there was pictures of the open bays.  It's a beautiful coach !  Winnebago and quality does not go hand in hand these days.  If I remember correctly there was an article written where Allied was either going to buy CC or CC was going into production this year...it was writhen in 14'.  Oh well !  There is so much uncertainty in the higher end coaches these days, that I will probably not get a new one...ownership keeps changing!

Carl

5 hours ago, Manholt said:

Bill.  I don't buy my steak pre cut.  I have a walk in cooler at home, low humidity, min 34 days or up to 47.  Just like Luther's in NYC.  :P

I got to find another dog !

Carl 

Carl, are you talking about Peter Luger's place?  You know you can order his aged steaks and extra thick cut bacon shipped next day air.

https://peterluger.com/butcher-shop.html

No dog like an old dog.:P;) Have you tried this dog? 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/texas-rangers-boomstick-hot-dog

Bill

No.  But it blows my mind that PL has 2 locations and does mail order now, sad!  A girl friend, took me there in 92'.  Steak was good, as it should be for all the hype!  A friend was camped at Roswell Elks 2 nights ago and asked me to come down for a round of golf and steak dinner...now that was a steak to remember !  Inch and a half strip, stuffed with Stilton cheese and medium rear.  I was a happy camper driving back to Ruidoso!

I love a good chili dog.  Not one pound.  In a ball park, $26 is cheap !

Luther's is a small steak house in Harlem...food channels not going there any time soon!  Open Thursday-Sat. 1pm-6pm.  Like a couple of places in Galveston...no night's!  Galveston Island had 63 gangs prior to IKE, now we have 17.  Per capita we had more than LA.

Carl   

Another hurricane might get rid of the rest. Have seen a documentary on the devastating one that hit way back, late 1800's or maybe early 1900's. Absolutely heart breaking. History channel I think?

Bill,

Carl,

There are a lot of CC and Monaco coaches for sale in Oregon at http://premierrvservices.com, which at a minimum my wife and I will take a trip up there. They do throw on some  pretty steep premiums onto the starting prices on some of the coaches. It appears that it will be easy to get a CC or Monaco coach from them if you have $150k to spend, however, and they do have quite a few units with 200K plus asking prices. My perspective is that it is primarily a chassis inspection issue to minimize the chance of major chassis (to include the engine) failure repairs too soon out the door. 

Also, for $150k, it looks pretty doable to get into a privately owned 2008 or later model Newmar Dutch Star based on national searches.

My wife and I have delayed our trip to France based on all the "txxxxx issues" and the slowness of various involved governments to strongly deal with all this. 

Oh, and Carl, I didn't say I was "miserable or unhappy about a DP.." What I was saying, in different words, was that I'm not all that unhappy that I don't own a dp just yet. My wife kind of still wants a 5th, so we will also take a trip to http://www.rollingretreats.com/RollingRetreatsInventory.html where they seem willing to find a way for us to experience that class of RV for comparisons purposes with a DRV unit and various heavy duty trucks. I may have to pay a few $$ for a day or two of driving with someone and go through setups and breakdowns, and backing up. 

My research seemed to indicate it is not too hard to rent a 5th, but renting a truck set up to pull a 5th is much more difficult, so maybe paying an owner for his time with me in the passenger seat is an option.

I think my Boxer won't care, so that will not be a swing vote I have to consider. 

Rodger S.

ObedB.  1900 Storm.  Estimated killed, 6,000-8,000.  That Storm is the reason why Galveston Island has a Sea Wall, built by the Corp of Engineers who still have a presence on the Island.  As a side note.  The "Roberts Rule of Order, was written by Col.. Roberts who had to wait 3 years before he could build the wall...he was board!

Rodger...go to France.  I was in Brussels day after the killing field at the airport...one thing about ISIS, they don't hit the same place twice!  Continue with your life or stick your head in the sand.  I came back to the States the 8th of June and I'm flying back for Christmas via London or Amsterdam, ISIS have not hit them yet! :lol:

Carl   

Did you know the Core of Engineers is doing something smart on Galveston island? They use to take all the sand they dredged from the ship canal out to deep water and dump it. Now they are pumping it on shore along the seawall for beach remediation. Places that you stepped into water when you stepped off the seawall now have a 100 yards of beach or more.

Bill

Yea, they have done that before...if a storm don't get it then the fall, winter current will.  But, it makes Tillman happy during Summer! <_<  He owns a third of the beach hotels and restaurants...:P

Carl