Sign in to follow this  
manholt

Independence Day

I wish you all a happy and safe Independence week end and day.  To all our Veterans, past and current...A Big Thank You !

Carl

Carl,

Did they find a place for you to serve?  When we were in Iceland last year we were in a restaurant that had a dry aging cooler facing the main dining room full of well aged American grown beef . It was surrounded by wines of all countries and ages and both were breath taking expensive.   

Yes Thank you, When we came home from service during Nam years it was not pleasant so you kept your mouth shut, different now. Closest I got was Japan and that was wonderful.

Bill Edwards

Bill.

Nam, 1962-63' US Army, ASA.  Got a 1-Y for being too tall...out grew my 2" waiver, I did not have to join, but I had just become a Citizen, so I figured it was my duty!

Carl

July 4/ Always special around my family as a child/kid. Dad was already on active duty 12/7/41.  Field artillery unit. When war was declared he started doing everything he could to become a pilot, but alas he only had a high school diploma. In the beginning, an applicant had to have at least two years of college. The military soon ran out of qualified applicants. In many areas of the country, there was still a depression going on. College was expensive in that time. There was a program starting up that was used extensively in WWI referred to as the Flying Sergeants Program. The brass did not like it because it often happened that the pilot was an enlisted man and the 2nd lieutenant was the copilot. My Father applied for and was accepted into the program as was Chuck Yeager. Anybody ever hear about him?? Flight class graduating before him wound up in P-38 fighters. He was hoping for the same. Told me that he wanted to be an ace or maybe dead fighting the Germans or Japanese, but alas he wound up in the Pacific in a B-17 squadron. Yes they used them there. Remember the radar intercept confusion on the early morning of 12/7/41. Oh it is not Japanese, just an expected flight of B-17s from the mainland. Some high ranking officers lost their jobs over that one.

Yes July 4 was always important in our family. Dad retired as a Lt. Colonel, serving in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He got quite a send off at Arlington in 2014 close to 92 years old. The Air Force Chaplin was really impressed. He was a Captain, but he admitted that my father was the first officer that he had experienced being buried with experience in Three Wars. You would have thought that a General was being buried. Quite a ceremony.  

I was raised in a military family all of my young years. Drafted into the Army at almost 24 years old . I am a Patriot.