lock for mh.jpg

This experience happened to me in October on a Saturday with fresh fallen snow in Petoskey MI. When I tried to open the door and take some pictures I could NOT. At first I thought that the door had frozen but soon realized that the handle would not pull the spring bolt back so the door could open.

First picture is the outside of the lock to identify it.

Second, is the inside of a lock, and it shows the star screws that I referred to.

Third, shows the end of the lock giving further confirmation of what it looks like.( Spring bold is missing)

Fourth, shows a striker plate and the new bolts and why they will not pass through the striker plate, and why the lock cannot be pushed out of the door from the inside. The  only way out is to push the spring bolt back is from the outside. The part in the lock that retracts it BROKE OFF!

Fifth, is a picture of our motor home, of course not taken at the same time, this was taken in the spring of 2015 in Indiana on our way back from a three month trip down south.  Just included it to show one to many beautiful Parks we have in the United States!

I think this is a very dangerous situation and going to try to send it to Department of Transportation maybe there should be a recall on the these locks.

This lock was manufactured by TriMack and a replacement can be found on eBay.

Charles Broedell
F283362

fmca2.jpg

fmca 1.jpg

fmca 1a.jpg

I never use the dead bolt, I have a Glock.  If you do, make sure all parts are lubed regularly with a silicone spray or graphite...then this will not happen.  I have the same lock.  Also, make sure you lube the out side steps monthly.  There is also a spray that you can get from any RV dealer in their parts store, for your sliding windows, so they don't stick.  I use it every 4 months and have no problems sliding my windows open all the way !   

22 hours ago, Manholt said:

I never use the dead bolt, I have a Glock.  If you do, make sure all parts are lubed regularly with a silicone spray or graphite...then this will not happen.  I have the same lock.  Also, make sure you lube the out side steps monthly.  There is also a spray that you can get from any RV dealer in their parts store, for your sliding windows, so they don't stick.  I use it every 4 months and have no problems sliding my windows open all the way !   

The part broke.! Lube will NOT fix that. It is L shaped and it broke off at the apex. leaving me nothing to  retract the spring bolt with.  

22 minutes ago, marchuckb@aol.com said:

The part broke.! Lube will NOT fix that. It is L shaped and it broke off at the apex. leaving me nothing to  retract the spring bolt with.  

Check this link for parts, the picture looks like its a Trimark product.

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zCategoryIndustries.aspx?intcategoryid=176&topcategoryid=175

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlatform.aspx?platformid=282&categoryid=89

Rich.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, Dickandlois said:

Yes it is. Go ebay they have it there.

Mark,

By some chance was the bolt that broke plastic. I have had the latches on my bay doors break. They were plastic and I replaced them all with latches with metal plungers.

Herman 

Herman, when you changed your over did it require the handle to be replaced or just the plunger? Where did you get them at?

Joe,

For the bay door latches, all it required was the latch. The company for the latches is:

RB Machining/RV Div.

661-274-1966.......661-269-3233

motorhomelatches.com

A look at their website may have information and door latches and plungers.

Herman

On 7/26/2016 at 7:38 PM, hermanmullins said:

Mark,

By some chancwas the bolt that broke plastic. I have had the latches on my bay doors break. They were plastic and I replaced them all with latches with metal plungers.

Herman 

No> this is on the entrance door of the MH. 

This could be very dangerous when you're locked in.  A chances of fire is always present.  This was a metal part that broke 
inside the lock.
 There's no way of reaching it from inside the coach.  The door must be opened from the outside! This is the only way. 
You can NOT push the striker backfrom inside the MH.
The lock will not move out because of the bolts securing it to the door frame these bolts slide into the striker plate.
I was informed that there is a recall on these locks.  Please check with the company that manufactured the lock.  
Thank you,
Chuck

Chuck,

Please look inside your MH and find the fire escape windows. Usually they have a red latching system.  I don't think I could ever be in a situation where I could not get out any of the big sliding windows.  Typically the bed room window is an escape window. Grab the comforter, bed spread, blanket and throw it over the windows edge before climbing out. Keeps from getting scratched up.

There is a very good video by Fire Guy...ask FMCA where you can watch it and make sure you try the escape plan, before you might need it! :o

I would not ride in a coach, where the owner had no escape plan beyond the frond door!   :wacko:

22 hours ago, marchuckb@aol.com said:

This could be very dangerous when you're locked in.  A chances of fire is always present.  This was a metal part that broke 
inside the lock.
 There's no way of reaching it from inside the coach.  The door must be opened from the outside! This is the only way. 
You can NOT push the striker backfrom inside the MH.
The lock will not move out because of the bolts securing it to the door frame these bolts slide into the striker plate.
I was informed that there is a recall on these locks.  Please check with the company that manufactured the lock.  
Thank you,
Chuck

Chuck, Right now go find the emergency exit and make sure it opens. I repeat open it don't just find it. Some get stuck from never being opened. Yes having the front door locked is a problem but what are you going to do if you have a fire between you and the door?

Bill

Just hold onto the handles when you release it, not all are hinged, some will fall out or at a certain point when raised they fall.

Mark,

By some chance was the bolt that broke plastic. I have had the latches on my bay doors break. They were plastic and I replaced them all with latches with metal plungers.

Herman 

No Cast Change the lock now!!!

Mark,

Herman 

On 10/5/2016 at 9:30 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Chuck, Right now go find the emergency exit and make sure it opens. I repeat open it don't just find it. Some get stuck from never being opened. Yes having the front door locked is a problem but what are you going to do if you have a fire between you and the door?

Bill

Yes Bill. I know where all of my EXITS are after 13 years with same MH . Yes they all open. Also add a second fire extinguisher is also good.\idea! 

Thanks for the reminder some off us forget. Happy trips to you.

Chuck