BillAdams

Centramatic Interaction

So, after doing a Google search for Centramatic balancers I found that the 800-820 unit was recommended specifically for my Prevost.  However, I thought it would make sense to drop a line to Centramatic and ask them what they said I should use so I sent them an e-mail.  I got a response right away but here's what it said:

Message: I have a 1988 40' Prevost Country Coach with drum brakes all around. I use 12R 22.5 Michelin tires and I want to see what the correct Centramatics would be for my front axle. Thanks.

Repsonse: 

• Good day

• Thank you for your inquiry

• Need to know

• Number of studs?

• Tire size?

• Steel or aluminum rims?

• REGARDS,

• JERRY ROBERTSON

• DIRECTOR OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT

• CENTRAMATIC

• 5345 SOUTH INTERSTATE 35 WEST

• ALVARADO  TEXAS 76009

• 800-523-8473

• jrobertson@centramatic.com

Nothing on any website questions the rim type, I had already listed the tire type and someone at Centramatic should already know what number of studs are used by Prevost.  I was less than impressed by the response and replied with this:

• Hummmm.  Said they were 12R 22.5 tires.  Alum wheels......studs?  can't see with the hub caps.

• I will see if there is someone out there that knows more about your products than you seem to.

• Thanks! 
  •  
  • Response: You Do not have to be insulting.

I guess it was an insult but how could I respond any other way to someone who had no real interest in finding the correct answer before responding.

Putting beads or Equal in my tires is looking better at this moment.

Director of Tech Support....amazing!  Not a division of Camping World?  Just for giggles, I would call Sales.

Your response was not insulting...I'm not PC and would have verbally torn him apart!  Ridicules! :angry:

Bill,

I bought a set, have not used them yet. I thought all the info was on line. From what I was able to determine it does not make any difference as to wheel type, steel or alloy. Never the less I agree with you Bill. It seems to me that he was on auto pilot and not thinking, not uncommon these days.  When posters ask questions here, occasionally the answers are questionable as to whether or not the answer to the question was fully thought out. Many times the answer is not complete or the question was not fully read before the answer is given.

Carl,

You have a different perspective since your thought processes are more old European and less politically correct for today. For me that is fine. I like the up front what you see is what you get and since I am that way... This country and much of Europe today is out of control on the political correctness thing. Everybody today likes to be right and come undone when called on the mistake as though it is a personal insult. Sloppy comes to mind and drives me nuts.

Bill Edwards

I have run centramatics on trucks for years. No problems. Quite happy with the results. When I decided to put them on our Phaeton I called them. Person I talked to was very helpful. Bill, maybe  the guy is a newly hired pinhead from somewhere other than  Alvarado. They are a little pricey, but they can be transferred to another unit if they will fit.

I have them on the rear but not the front. I'd bet they were on both axles before. I was considering ordering a set for the front.

I also struggle with PC. I used to play the game but people tend to push my buttons anymore and I have little time for people that can't do their jobs or know their jobs. How many lugs?? Really how many would you think with a 12R22.5 tire? Hmm....4? :lol:

I worked (note worked) for one of the largeres truck leasing companies in the US, all of the leadership got there because they knew someone, not because they knew what they were doing. It's the world today :angry:

While I agree this guy should know his stuff, given his position, there are hundreds of configurations out there and some vehicles actually had an 8 bolt hub. Sounds to me like he was trying to make sure he had all the information needed to get you the best product for your vehicle. It is surprising that some people have no clue as to what they have and evidently you don't know how many studs you have either. Not trying to start a fight here, but I think you were a little harsh. I had a full set of these on a semi tractor and they were great, so I would not hesitate to use them again.

Very interesting post.:)

"how could I respond any other way to someone who had no real interest in finding the correct answer before responding."

Try,"thank you for your quick response." Then just answer the questions, even if you need to repeat yourself. It is your responsibility to gather the information about your coach they need. Don't add remarks that basically put the responsibility on their heads, rather than on your head, for the knowledge about your coach. 

Was it insulting??? Depends on whether, in effect, telling someone they are an unqualified dumb ****, that you consider that insulting or not....certainly "a little harsh."

===========

If I chose to own a very, very old luxury custom coach, my assumption going in is that it is unreasonable to assume that information on such a coach is readily available AND that whatever I would do it is going to be very expensive and time consuming. 

I had an attorney friend who bought an old Ferrari. When to his surprise he discovered how much it cost to maintain the car, at a Ferrari dealer, he quickly sold it off.  No, he could not just take it to one of the local backyard mechanics or jiffy lube shops. 

=======

Note: when I worked as a service writer, the service manager had, in his head, a mental list of those customers who basically got put to the back of the line, if it all, when they called in for service. How the owner had "a little harsh" interacted with the service department was not forgotten. 

His word for his list, which of course I would never apply to you, was his "A.. H...s list."

I don't think Gerber discussed this bit of insider knowledge in his Trend Articles. 

Rodger S. 

I am going to suggest we lock this thread. 

One of the basic tenets of any successful Forum is no personal jibes/attacks.

I don't see this thread moving forward--pretty well everything has been covered.