bburns8

MH Air Horns Stopped Working?

My air horns on my MH stopped working.

Has anyone else had this happen and found the problem?

2001 Fleetwood Discovery 

bburns8,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I would start by locating the solenoid that sends air to the horns.  While someone pushed the horn button, if no power to the solenoid, trace back in the electric diagram to find out why.

If power to it, but solenoid does not send air to the horns, the solenoid is bad.

2 hours ago, bburns8 said:

My air horns on my MH stopped working.

Has anyone else had this happen and found the problem?

2001 Fleetwood Discovery 

Yes.  In my case it was an air issue.  I did not realize it as only the DS side was out, but the PS worked OK.  When CC did the full inspection they found it.  Their solution was to clear an inline blockage to the DS only side.  Easy fix.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

bburns8,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I would start by locating the solenoid that sends air to the horns.  While someone pushed the horn button, if no power to the solenoid, trace back in the electric diagram to find out why.

If power to it, but solenoid does not send air to the horns, the solenoid is bad.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.  Ok, I located the solenoid, but how will I know if it is getting power? The solenoid has a tube going into the side and one coming out of the top. Will the solenoid make a sound when someone is pushing on the horn button?

It will also have two wires going to it: 12 VDC positive and ground. Use a voltmeter between the two terminals. Have someone else activate the horn button and see what voltage reads.

And, yes, if both electrical part and solenoid are working properly, you could feel a "click" as the solenoid opens.

12 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

It will also have two wires going to it: 12 VDC positive and ground. Use a voltmeter between the two terminals. Have someone else activate the horn button and see what voltage reads.

And, yes, if both electrical part and solenoid are working properly, you could feel a "click" as the solenoid opens.

Ok, understand now.  I thought I located the solenoid at the front end of my coach, but maybe I didn't locate it. I do not see any wires that go to it. Where is the solenoid typically located on a DP? 

Well, on mine it is directly in front of the drivers seat above the generator, you have to slide my generator out to see it. Two wires and two air lines connecting to it.

bburns8,

Do you have a "Smart Wheel"? If so go to VIPs website. Sorry I don't know the address, just look up Smart Wheel.

You can download the manual for your wheel. Then call their tech service dept. they are very helpful and will walk you through to test procedure. The Smart Wheel controller has many functions and the air horns are one of them.

If no Smart Wheel, you might try removing the front caps and looking into the horn to see if they may be stopped up but dirt dobbers nest. Those buggers like to get into the darned's places.

Herman

Does anything make a sound when you push the horn?  Some coaches have a switch that allows selection of air horns or a standard car horn.

Update:  It was the solenoid.  I replaced the solenoid and the air horns are working now. Thank you everyone for your replies.  Very helpful!

I love it when the newbies try to solve the issue without heading to the check out stand and pay for an over priced invoice. Here they get a pat on the back and will eventually tackle another more complex issue all the while having a smile on their face and a DW that thinks they are a genius...except you Carl and Hermanl!:lol:

BillE