drewbug416

Finding Parts For Older Coaches

We recently purchased a 1990 34' Safari Serengeti and have found it needs the transmission replaced.  This has a Ford 460 engine with a C6 3 speed transmission.  It also has the e-brake that somehow is coordinated with the transmission.  The mechanic told us the rear seal on the transmission should be replaced.  If any of this makes sense... the mechanic is having a challenge finding that seal.  Any advice?  Where do you find parts for your older coach?

Welcome to the forum. If you put your coach info and location in your signature it will help you get better answers. 

The C-6 is one of Ford's most basic transmissions. If your mechanic is having problems you need a new mecanic. If you are going to pull the transmission I would do a rebuild and  upgrade the clutch package and add a shift kit. Get a kit designed for towing as it will work better in the motorhome.

Here is a link to help you find parts.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/automatic-transmission-rebuild-kits/transmission-type/c-6 

Here is another link.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?Ntt=Ford+C-6+transmision+kit&requestYear=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&year=&make=&model=&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

I used one of these low speed stall torque converters the last time I rebuilt a motorhome with a C-6 it reduces slippage and improves mileage and reduces heat.

http://www.jegs.com/p/TCI/TCI-Maximizer-High-Torque-Towing-Converters/746227/10002/-1

Bill

Drew, I am very familiar with that set up. I actually have a parking brake unit sitting on a shelf in my shed :o. The transmission has a gasket between the brake unit and the transmission, there is a seal going into the brake and coming out of the brake unit. The brake unit has its own fluid inside, this is one of those items that is often overlooked when servicing the coach and the fluid almost never gets changed. Those seals are available he will have to do some research or pull them and go to the local auto parts store to pick them up. I do recommend putting Synthetic ATF in the brake unit when it goes back on, it should help keep it cooler.

As far as the transmission, those are fairly simple to rebuild and there are plenty of aftermarket parts to make it stronger, see the links Bill attached above.

Drew,

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry I don't know where you are but give this company a call. Chalks Truck Parts.

713-672-6344

They are in Houston, Texas and should be able to help. If your mechanic has the old seal out he should be able to get a Part number off of it. With a part number NAPA or a bearing house should be able to find a seal.

Like it is said in the good book "Seek and ye shall find."

Herman

Thank you all for your input.  Not sure why our mechanic is having a hard time finding the part ?...we'll relay the info you've given (will check those links - thanks for that) and hopefully today will be moving forward once again.  He has rebuilt the tranny it was the seal that was the issue.  I called our local Auto Zone and it seemed he could get the part, but the person I spoke to there said he "couldn't guarantee the part" since it was going into a motorhome...does that make sense?  I was thinking since it's a standard Ford tranny, it shouldn't matter...anyway, thanks again!  Marci & Jack

Jack, the parking brake internal components were the same on the 1990 Ford F-Superduty (F-450), it carried over In later years on the E-450 in a class C circa 1996 and up, it was dropped off at some point when the parking brakes were moved to inside the rear drums, I just can't recall when. Some subtle differences like where the speed sensor was located in the later years but the bearings, seals and brake shoes and drums were the same throughout all of the years.

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

the parking brake internal components were the same on the 1990 Ford F-Superduty (F-450), it carried over In later years on the E-450 in a class C circa 1996 and up,

This is great info -- passing that onto our mechanic right now!

I think our OP is in the Dallas, TX. area.  I don't know if they can cross ref. numbers for a seal and then ship?  Never have asked.

Carl

New seals are available and I don't know of a separate one designated for RV use. I would do the upgrades to improve shifting and reduce heat. 

If the OP would do as requested and put his info in his signature.......

Bill

Thanks ya'll - we were able to find the cross-reference number and found the part in one of our local auto parts store!  We also added the shift kit as suggested!  And, I think I did add our info on the coach, etc in our profile....but, still kinda new at this and might have missed something.

Again, thank you all for your input and advice - hoping to be back in the running on Tuesday...as far as the tranny is concerned.  Then Lucy goes to another mechanic for radiator flushing and other minor fixes!  ?  Become full-timers on Oct 1 -- we need time to load her up!!

3 hours ago, drewbug416 said:

Thanks ya'll - we were able to find the cross-reference number and found the part in one of our local auto parts store!  We also added the shift kit as suggested!  And, I think I did add our info on the coach, etc in our profile....but, still kinda new at this and might have missed something.

Again, thank you all for your input and advice - hoping to be back in the running on Tuesday...as far as the tranny is concerned.  Then Lucy goes to another mechanic for radiator flushing and other minor fixes!  ?  Become full-timers on Oct 1 -- we need time to load her up!!

Add your info to your signature, it makes it handy to read. See my signature or some of the others. The shift kit will help. 

Bill