ajshepherd

ISM 500 Stop Engine Light

Greetings:

I have had a periodic issue with my Cummins ISM 500 motor.  I have the dash light (Stop Engine) come on during a cold start, or start after storage.  If I stop the motor, then restart it immediately the light will go out and does not come back on.  I'm sure I can get an answer if I go to a mechanic and download codes, but do you think I need to do that immediately?  Can this wait until the next service?  Thanks in advance for the good guidance!!!

AJ,

The only time code can be read is when the check light is on, so I have been told.

If this is a fact then the light will need to be on when you are driving to have it serviced. Talk about a catch 22.

The next time the light comes on try removing the positive battery cable. This will reset the computer. Then see how long it takes, if every, for the light returns.  Worth a try.

Herman 

Actually, most modern engines (gas and diesel) will store fault codes.  They will show as either active or stored codes-- active will have the check light on. But, stored codes may never even turn on the check light.  All should be readable with the correct interface and some gauges like Silverleaf and ScanGauge D.

Good to know. Had check light on at different times on my truck and was told that if the light wasn't on they couldn't read them. The next time, hopefully never, I'll ask that they be checked anyway. 

Thanks 

Herman 

Thanks Guys!

If I wanted to purchase a reader, what could you suggest?  I would need a cable from the MH port side to the laptop or reader?  Software or just a dedicated device?  I should get smart on this issue as we are risking a lot of $$ not understanding what is going on.  I can also take it to Cummins, but a code reader should be a good investment.

Thanks.

Ajshepherd, look up Scangage D on the web. It will scan for codes and if you choose you can use it to monitor sensors while driving. I mounted mine above my camera monitor and it's on whenever the ignition is. I use it as a digital gauge to verify the dash gaues are accurate. The cost less than $200 (the cost of the dealer hooking up their computer one time).

AJ, If you have the standard set of switches under the dash that let you read ECM codes. One can grab one or more codes if you just turn the key to the run position - press  the idle speed switch and read the flash code of the read stop engine light. like 3 pause 5 pause 1 and it will repeat if that is the only code.

The speed up down switch will also allow you to go back and forth to repeat a code.

One needs to be a contortionist at times to get to the switches. 

Rich.

I can read any fault codes from the LBCU.  A call to either Cummins or the Freightliner help desk and they will walk you through the steps and can tell you what the code means.