Folks, in some ways, I am a camping veteran, been doing it since the late 60's, but in some cases, I am still a rookie.  Can someone post a picture of a "doughnut" and maybe a threaded connection?

We camp mostly in the Rockies, and have never come accross an RV park that required anything special in this department, usually just a request that the connection be "secure" and/or monitored.  We usually stay a couple of days and dump the tanks every few days and don't leave the dump hose hooked up, so this might make a difference too.

Thanks,

Chris.

F3608s

P.s. I know I could Google images of what you describe, but it might be useful for other people here too.

25 minutes ago, aztec7fan said:

Folks, in some ways, I am a camping veteran, been doing it since the late 60's, but in some cases, I am still a rookie.  Can someone post a picture of a "doughnut" and maybe a threaded connection?

We camp mostly in the Rockies, and have never come accross an RV park that required anything special in this department, usually just a request that the connection be "secure" and/or monitored.  We usually stay a couple of days and dump the tanks every few days and don't leave the dump hose hooked up, so this might make a difference too.

Thanks,

Chris.

F3608s

P.s. I know I could Google images of what you describe, but it might be useful for other people here too.

The donut is just a rubber sleeve to seal the hose into the receiving pipe. Most places have a threaded fitting that your elbow will thread into or not depending on it's condition. look at the picture of the sewer hose only partially in the drain that was  posted above. You can see the donut in the drain. The main purpose is to seal the drain and prevent odors from escaping.

Bill   

Chris,  

A donut is a pastry that may be either baked or fried. Sometimes glazed or chocolate covered and best served warm. :rolleyes:

But for an RV it is rubber ring that has tapered sided. You may plug your discharged hose into it and use it on a variety of sized sewer connection. Lots of parks ask that you use one so there will not be sewer gas odors that will offend your neighbor.  

Herman 

A donut also prevents the possibility of "splash back"!  If you look at the picture on page one that has a strap with 2 weights over the hose end...the end has treads on it for 3" and 3 12" sever connection...problem is, it's not a perfect world, so quite often you can screw the L in but not out..I got tired off having to replace them, so I now stick the donut into park sewage connector and plug my sewer hose into it. :)

Carl

Herman, you have just ruined Donuts for me :lol:. Don't eat them much anyway stereotype shy'd me away from them 24 years ago.

Joe, Herman and Wayne...this whole link blew away any thoughts I had about eating anything, anytime soon! :lol::P:wacko:

The old saw, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the simple answer.  If a tank is leaking and can't be repaired then it should be replaced.  How difficult this will be depends greatly on the manufacturer of the coach.  In some coaches the tanks are more accessible than in others. 

Leaks can appear to come from a tank but may be just the drain pipe connection or a leaky valve.  Depending on how accessible the tanks are, it may be difficult to determine the source of the leak without significant disassembly.  We had a problem with the pipe connection on our first (used) coach.  It was repaired and held until we traded the coach for our present coach.  I replaced both valves on our present coach about three years ago.  Not the most fun I've had but not that difficult if you follow the advice given earlier in this discussion.