kurtsue

Onan 7.5K Generator Won't Start

Hi folks, we just got back from Stone Mountain Ga. this weekend what a nice place to camp. Well my problem, the generator won't start on our 2004 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. When I engage the start switch it clicks as usual for 5 or 10 seconds then I loose the 12VDC system. I checked the batteries and they checked OK. I have to disengage the 12VDC house switch and reset it to get the 12VDC back up. It had been working on our last trip out.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Check ground to generator battery.  Check circuit breaker on inverter/converter, CB for generator...see if you can started by the switch on generator itself.

Carl  

Thanks for the reply, any question not asked is not dumb, so here goes, does the generator have it's own battery, or does it start off the house batteries? Thanks

Can you hold down the switch that tyes the batteries together and try to start it? It does sound like a low battery, loose/ corroded connection or bad ground.

Bill

kurtsue,

How did you check your batteries and what voltage did you get?  Make sure you check them without the battery charger on.

Blake

That's what I thought. What do you think would cause it to not even turn over and bump off the 12VDC circuit? It also won't start from the generator switch. Even though the batteries check OK, could they be that weak to not turn over the generator? All the house lights work fine. Thanks, Kurt

Kurt,

Have you tried to start it at the gen. itself? Try that and if you can hear a clicking noise then you may have a low battery.  However if all your 12 volt items work and you can start your engine then it may be a loose or bad ground. Or then you may have a bad starter. 

Herman 

I would check the starter solenoid to determine if you have voltage on the solenoid coil when the starting switch is activated.

If you generator is installed on a pullout, check all of the wiring that has  potential damage as the generator is pulled in and out.

Jim

Kurt.  Some coaches have a designated battery...mine does!  If mine is  low, I can use the coach aux starter, that is all (8) house batteries...same if engine batteries (2) are low!  Are your batteries Acid or AGM's?  How old?

Carl

Kurt, you posted-I have to disengage the 12VDC house switch and reset it to get the 12VDC back up !

Are you referring to the Coach battery or chassis batteries when you're getting the 12 volts back up ? 

How old are the chassis / engine batteries and the House / coach batteries?

What is the water level like in the batteries if they are wet cells?

What are the voltage readings for the Chassis and Coach batteries after the coach has been disconnected from shore power for 1/2 to 1 Hr.?

Rich.

OK fellows here's the rub. Yesterday I disconnected the battery disconnect switch and just wired it straight through and bypassed it. I let it sit all night with no shore power to see if the voltage dropped any. It did not drop but a few hundredths. So I went to the front and tried to start the generator , and what do you know, it started. So my thought is that the battery disconnect switch is worn out, not making good contact through the system. Thank you for all your input on this trouble. I will keep on monitoring this and get back if this does not solve the problem. I am looking for a better disconnect switch that is on the coach, any suggestions?

Bad disconnect switch, is it an add on manual switch located right I the battery compartment?

That is not always a bad thing and they are not the most expensive thing to replace !

Rich.

Thanks fellows yes it is back in the battery compartment. One for the house batteries and one for the chassis batteries. They look original to me. Thanks for your replies!:D