jbrunson

Lug Nut Torque

In 2009, I went to Evolution coach, located in White Haven Pennsylvania, to drive my coach home after purchase. I had them replace six tires before I would drive her home. They used a one inch torque wrench, the overall length of the handle was fifty two inches, the wrench uses a a dial to set the exact torque, it was set to 800# and two guys pushed down on the handle, was unable to achieve 800, a ten foot pipe was placed on the handle, when pushed again, the wrench that they used made a clicking sound, when pushed against again, it made the same clicking sound again, the owner of the establishment was present and assured me that the torque was correct. Yes without proper tools it could be very hard to do. With disc brakes torquing is much more critical than drum brakes, because uneven pressure on the lug nuts is the main contributer to warped disc. 

Yes the newer pilot wheels require less torque than stud pilot wheels, I have the maintenance manual for my bus, and that is what MCI recommends, they are  also known as bud wheels.

On my coachmen pursuit, I have 19.5 tires and the spec is 150 ft lbs. my snap on dial torque wrench will go to 250 ft lbs, has anybody tried torquing their tires with a snap on??  I can use the torque multiplier to remove the lugs and the snap on to reset. Any ideas on what’s the best torque wrench to use??

I don't see why not. That Snap-on dial torque wrench is about as good as you can get. Just be carful and don't over torque the lug nuts. Use good practices such as cross torqueing and go up in steps.

Bill