Richard313

Alternatives To Gas Supports For Basement Doors

I have replaced the gas supports for the basement doors on my class A several times.

Does anyone know of a better system than this? Has anyone constructed their own basement door supports?

My first time posting, thank you for your answers.

Welcome to the forum.

Please add your coach to your signature as it will get you better answers. See my sig as an example.

OK are they not holding the door open or?

This is where it would be useful to know the make model and year of your coach.

Bill

Welcome Richard,

There is an ole door support that has been around for many years, it is called a "Stick". :D They are very versatile and come in many adjustable lengths with a Saw. :lol: 

Sorry I couldn't help myself. 

Most lift struts come in different length and weight limits. You may find struts in the length and with a heavier lift weight. As an example, the struts on my doors are 20" 80 pound struts.

Question, did you replace both struts at the same time?

Herman 

Richard, welcome.  

Is that all the bay doors or just one?  How many slide out's do you have?  As Bill said, this could get lengthy without knowing what you have!  Some of mine, open up with one strut, some with 2 (most common) and I have 2 bay doors that are side open.  All are aluminum.

Some coaches don't have any struts, just a latch attached above the max height of door....Think we need more input from OP.

Carl

Thank for the replies. I have about 3 doors that lift up and they have two gas struts per door. I have struts with 80 pounds pressure each. These are the doors I use most that seem to wear out the fastest: water/sewage, batteries and propane. They start to sag and I have to keep pushing them up, only to have them start dropping. I always replace both when I change them out.  Always worse in the winter. Is there a better name brand that I should be looking for? WildeBill, is there a moderator for this site that can help me add my coach to my profile? I have a 2000 National RV Tradewind 37' Class A.

Richard, I will try to help. We don’t need no stinking moderator.:P Go up to the top of the page and go to “My account” Go down to Account settings go to “settings area” click on “signature” now you can add info and click on save when you are done.

Bill

I will double check the pressure listed on my struts and see if the next level up might work out better for me. Thanks again for all the advise and info. My wife had the same suggestion as Herman, get a stick! Happy wife = Happy life.

My former coach had the gas struts that got weak after 3 months or so, I installed latches that actually were strong enough to hold the bay doors open, replaced the gas struts at the same time as the latches. This way the doors were no problem lifting and lowering, and then the doors were open I simply applied the latch to keep the extra weight off of the struts, and ultimately released those just prior to lowering the doors. Two plus years later, prior to retiring that coach, the struts were still performing well.

Regarding the problem with the gas lifts. Bought 4 new ones and they did not work, so I called the supplier and asked at what temperature do you test them, because above 75 degrees they work fine and below 65 degrees one needs the prop them open. It has been over 6 months and still no answer.

Still have 6 or 8 of the OEM units and they are still working fine after 15 years. :lol:

Rich.

Richard, welcome.  

Is that all the bay doors or just one?  How many slide out's do you have?  As Bill said, this could get lengthy without knowing what you have!  Some of mine, open up with one strut, some with 2 (most common) and I have 2 bay doors that are side open.  All are aluminum.

Some coaches don't have any struts, just a latch attached above the max height of door....Think we need more input from OP.

Carl

Good Grief!  A double.

Rich.  I still have my OEM...except for 2 that was bent and was replaced with new bay door 5 weeks ago!

Carl