BillAdams

Bird Strike

We have had a bird strike.  Looks like we are going to be in the Hudson!

We are safe and sitting in Titusville, FL until we can get some help.

OYXKo0gl.jpg

Bill,

Sorry for your problem it must have been some bird. If you are having any problems findings a windshield give RV Glass Solutions. They will work with your insurance company, have windshield sent to a installer close to you. You may get their number out of the magazine. 

Good luck, 

Herman 

Bill,

I feel your pain.  We were "attacked" by a Turkey this summer on the Natchez Trace.  It decided to attack  the passenger's outside mirror. Hit so squarely that it cleanly knocked the mirror glass out.  No shoulder, but no traffic, 45 MPH speed limit.  Stopped, walked back-- didn't think I would be able to find the mirror (too small to spot in the deep grass), but that turkey should be easy to spot.  Sure enough, turkey was easy to find (after 1/2 mile walk). Mirror  glass 3' from it-- still in one piece. Pulled into Sams to shop/fill with diesel.  Reattached mirror glass.

Friends with a Vogue had a turkey smash right through the driver's side windshield.  Still finding pieces of glass over a year later.

The good news it was not a deer!

Bill Adam, was that a Pelican?  Sorry, no fun to replace windshield.  Herman is right.  They are great to deal with.  Bet that bird got both of your attention!:blink:

It was a Turkey Vulture.  Big Dang Bird!  I saw it coming but as with most birds headed toward your windshield you "assume" it will pull away.  This guy did not!  We drove back that way to get some lunch and saw it in the grass on the side of Interstate on our return trip.  I really wanted to stop and take a picture of that dead SOB but stopping along any Interstate is really not the best choice.  Now it's just a matter of getting back on the road with a windshield that is likely going to get blown into the RV if we move and the reality that it might take more than a week to get someone to come to us to get it replaced.

What to do.....What to do.

Those big birds can do serious damage.  The general public got a view of the problems they can cause when Sully's Airbus had to land in the Hudson.  A number of years ago we had a huge vulture come through the right front wind screen of a Huey.  He sprayed blood and glass through out the cockpit and into the cabin.  Fortunately we (the crew) had helmets on and visors down.

By the way Herman, our insurance company put us in touch with RV Glass Solutions.  They say it will take a week to get a new windshield and someone here to replace it.  We are going to try to drive to Jacksonville where there is a Prevost service center.  If they want too much money we can wait there for free until someone can get us a replacement.

Bill .  If you aren't familiar with clear Gorilla Tape it is really good stuff.  You might get some to protect the DW on the trip. Hope you get help.  Good luck. 

Herman 

WOW, I have heard of that happening before :blink:. I am just glad it stopped there and not landed on the passenger seat. Last week I was in Maine and a guy hit a Moose with a pickup, it looked like he fought an excavator and lost.

Bill, nice colors on that bus, :wub: please post some photos.

I only have experience with one black vulture and a 1976 Ford 4 door company car...bird took out the front windshield and insurance totaled the car!  Stench was unreal and they said it would never go away...Company gave me a new Ford p/u 1980.

Carl

My brother inlaw/outlaw:blink:was traveling near his home in central Florida many years ago, an eight point deer ran into the driver side door late that night, two of the points went completely through the door. He still has scars on his chest to prove how near death he became at that moment. Bill, hope you can find a replacement soon, and sorry for the mishap.

I wish I had seen Herman's post about the clear tape before I used a whole roll of the silver stuff!  In any case, we made it safely to Jacksonville today.  Here's a bit of information I posted elsewhere.

I took a whole roll of duct tape but we made it from Titusville to Jacksonville today. Kind of scary watching the window "breathe" in and out as we drove at 60 MPH. It was only about 2 hours but Janet sat on the couch behind the drivers seat. She wanted no part of it!
We are now at Prevost and they have the windshield and will take care of that and a couple of other bus issues while we are here. Should be good as new here pretty soon.
We originally planned to stay at The Great Outdoors but it turns out they wanted $65/night plus tax for an overnight stop. Wish we had paid that ransom as the hit happened just past the exit and we would have saved $700!

It seems that no matter what you do it will bite you in the backside.

We had a small buck run up on the frontage road in front of our Geo Tracker from the right ditch, We were doing 45 because of a bit of ground fog. Took out the driver's side headlight and the grill. The deer sailed like a Frisbee.

Two weeks later, but on the highway about 200 feet north of the frontage road a hawk came up out of the median and took out the driver's side of the windshield in our Ford Sportrack pickup. We are now quite vigilant when in that area.