rfsod48

Gross Vehicle Weight

Am I correct in thinking that a heavier vehicle weight will give a better ride? My current MH is 28000# and 38' in length.

I am considering moving up to a 40' to 42' at about 38000 to 40000#.

My question centers on ride quality and handling in wind. 

Welllll,

Agree, weight is ONE issue when it comes to ride and handling.

But there are many other factors that are equally or close to as important.

WB/OL (Wheel base/Overall length) is also quite critical.

Suspension is also important.  What shocks, what air bags/ride height valves?

Weight distribution-- a hard job to do correctly with a DP-- moving weights forward is hard but makes a big difference.

We crossed Texas the past 3 days and encountered winds averaging 20-30 mph. I slowed down to 55-58 mph to feel safe but still had a rougher ride than I like. After checking into what redoing our coach to upgrade it we feel that getting something newer and larger would give us more bang for the buck. Per previous recommendations from the list we are going to look at MotorHomes of Texas for a higher end used vehicle. Does a tag axle improve ride?

On our current coach we put Bilstien shocks, new steer tires and had an alignment. This did help ride. Just can't get everything we want in this coach.

As Brett pointed out, many factors must be taken into consideration, but to answer your question. "Does a tag axle improve ride?" In most cases it will help with stability if everything else is in place. The "trail axel" was first introduced on the GMC Scenic Cruiser, because the first few that Greyhound added to their fleet was a single drive axel, and those beast's were literally all over the road, my uncle was a driver of one of them, and refused to take another trip until that problem was fixed. GMC brought them back for redesign, the trail axel was the result of that recall and retrofit. It became one of the drivers favorite busses to drive with the exception of a few that didn't want drive anything over 35 feet. If you notice closely the TAG is always a single wheel behind the drive axel, with the exception of the now defunct Silver Eagle which the TAG was in front of the drive. I have driven both and I prefer the trail. Though the Silver Eagle die hard, bus nuts, still love to convert them, they were very adaptable to most builders schemes. 

You say you have a rough ride.  Have you had a 4 corner weighing done on the coach and adjusted the tire air pressure accordingly?  If you have the tires inflated to the numbers on the sidewalls you likely have some of the tires over inflated.

With that said, I went from a 19,000 # entry level DP to a 40,000 # Prevost.  My ride was never bad on the 19,000 pounder but the difference between the 2 while driving in the wind is stunning.

I have had coach weighed and adjusted the tire pressure accordingly to 95# per wheel according to manufacturers table with a 10% allowance added. Not that the ride was bad but wind moved us around much more than normal. 

Brett,

The wheelbase is 252" and the overall length is 38' 4". The GVWR is 28,000# and I tow a Jeep Cherokee which is approx. 4200#

Roland

Roland.

Other than the ride, do you like your coach?

You know what I have now...I did not get it because of the ride.  I have had gassers and DP's that I had a ride issue, but always got it taken care off by replacing the sway bar with a heavy duty kind and  putting a Safe T plus on the front.  Solved the turbulence from truck and wind...also made sure I was not overweight on one side or other...balanced load and correct tire pressure to load !

Carl

Carl,

I do have a safety plus installed, it helped with truck turbulence but I have a real problem with side wind, into or with the wind is no problem. 

We looked into rejuvenating our coach but don't feel the cost is worth doing if we won't end up being happy. On this forum I inquired about new MH or used and the advice was probably used for the best bang for the buck. A few dealers in Texas were recommended and there are many choices, thus my question about ride and weight/tag axle. If stepping up to a larger, heavier coach is what is needed than this will be what we try to do.

Roland

Roland, not to even try to persuade against upgrading to another coach, but can't help adding a little advice about your present coach. It appears based on your wheelbase that you have a gasser with a good deal of overhang. You probably already know this, but moving as much weight (storage) as possible forward of the rear wheels will help considerably. I have in the past added granite flooring in the galley area to help with this condition. Do not overload, (rocks are heavy):rolleyes: but adding some weight there for TEST purposes wont hurt. If adding weight, close or on the floor, just another thought.

Keep in mind when upgrading if you choose that route. Not all larger coaches will handle the same just because its a DP or it has a tag axle. Chassis design and weight distribution play a huge part in this. We sit at 270" Wheel base 41'2" overall length NO Tag. I can run in wind all day at the most I feel is a very minor tug in the steering, no sway and NO lean whatsoever. I have Roadmaster and their outboard air bag design to thank for that. 

Just to add, Our last coach had a serious tail wag, (11.5' of after axle overhang) sway and was terrible to drive, certain situation it felt like it was going to tip over if the wind hit it right. I threw aftermarket sway bars, Rear axle track bar and shocks on it and while it did handle much better (I was able to keep it in the lane in wind, no more leaning or white knuckles) it made it ride rough.

My current coach isa diesel pusher. Right now we are at near weight in the front, would you advise trying extra weigh/t even over manufactures limit? In high wind I can keep it in lane but it is a constant battle. 

Where is your generator?

As Joe said, he has a Roadmaster chassis, one of the best...it is on HR, Monaco, Country Coach...hard to beat. 

I stated in the earlier post, do not overload, never over the manf  weight limit. Considering that any weight close to the top of any unit does take away from handling as well as the design of the coach, some are boxier than others, aerodynamics also come into play. As I stated, forward of the rear wheels, not necessarily adding to the front wheel weight. If that heavy on the front end, which could be adding to instability, your case may indicate that a little added behind the rear axle may actually help. There was a question on this forum earlier about some type of air deflector, don't remember the name, but I do know of a few that added them, and the claim that they helped. Also adding weight may not be the answer, sometimes just a mere redistribution helps.

They where designed for OTR trucks, yet I have  never seen one with them...Have seen 2 Class A Gassers with them.  I have not read any after the fact, feed back on the Forum !

The best coach, hands down, that is for sale right now (unless it sold in the last 5 days) belongs to Brett Wolfe at $77,500.  That's a steal for a 2003 Alpine 38' !

Carl

Roland,

Let me chime in with my perspective as we've had the same question about tag axles and weight.  Our coach is an '05 Monaco Windsor with a gross GVWR of 34,600 lbs.    Loaded for a long trip I usually weigh in at 32,000 lbs. and change.  We bought this thing nearly 12 years ago and have loved every bit of it except when we encounter cross winds.  Trucks passing us, or visa versa, doesn't wag us around it's just the crosswinds.  For the time being (I change my mind like the wind), we are going to stick with our current coach and have spend some $$$'s refurbishing to give her a fresh look and feel.  So, when we head to areas with strong winds I fill the fresh water tank which does give me a bit more stability.

I also thought that a heavier coach would handle better so we test drove a 2016 Monaco Dynasty 45' with tag.  Fortunate for us it was a breezy day and I hate to say that our Windsor's road manners are superior to the coach we test drove.  I haven't done a weight to "sail" area calculation and there are a lot of other factors to consider such as chassis manufacture etc.  But again, both Deb and I felt our coach handles and drives much better.  So, decision was made to keep what we have for now.

Blake

Blake.  You have the real Roadmaster chassis.  From 2010 to now, they (REV group) use the "New and improved" Roadmaster chassis!  They just don't build coaches like they used to, so they dazzle you with bling!

Have said it before...think pre 2007.  Period !

Roland, I live 2 1/2 to 3 hours away by car or coach.

Carl

Carl....absolutely right.  I looked at some of the printed material and REV calls it a Roadmaster chassis.  Then looked at the data plate in the engine compartment and it said Roadmaster by Freightliner.  Nothing against Freightliner, many have them, but the ride was not even close to ours.  Even at 10,000 lbs more in weight.  We got caught up in the bling then came back down to earth.

Roland.....we are 2 hours away from MOT.  We're willing to make a day trip to look at a coach for you.  But, you'll have to agree to make our down payment if we see something we like.  hehehehe!:D

Blake

Blake, you have a Roadmaster RR8S chassis. Why there is Freightliner markings in there makes no sense. You have the later version of the chassis we have RM8H Roadmaster.

chassis/engine/suspension

Roadmaster RR8S-Series Chassis

Cummins

Allison

®

®

ISL 400 Electronic Engine with

3000 MH 6-Speed World Transmission