five

DD 13 Fuel Leak

My MH would not start a few weeks ago, ran three seconds and quit.  Called Good Sam and they sent a tech who got it running by removing and topping off all three fuel filters and adding some fuel to the fuel/water separator in the far back of the engine compartment.  Then he primed it and I tried to start it...fired up on the sixth try.  It ran fine, but I tried to start it several other times later and it was cranking too long.  The tech said it was loosing prime.  Took it to Freightliner on Monday.  They could not find anything wrong at first...couldn't see a leak and it tested good on the computer.  I was in the shop and noticed diesel fuel on the rock guard.  Long story short, they kept it over night and pulled the water/fuel separator off and cleaned the gasket and all the fittings and reinstalled it.  Test drove it and all is well...except for my wallet.  Tech was $165 and Freightliner was $475.  The latter includes a $45 fee for use of the computer and a 3% charge for using a credit card.  Their rates have increased as well...normal shop rate is $125/hour, RVers get a special rate of $135/hour.:wacko:

Interesting that they didn't find anything wrong and just reattached and cleaned the gasket.  Did they check your fuel tank for water?  And, something had to have caused the original fuel leak and loss of prime.  $685.....eeek!

I call the added fees: "Just Because Fees".  Just because the customer will pay if he wants his coach back!:P

Blake

I feel your pain, I limped into a Love's truck stop with mechanics on duty, and asked for them to replace my single fuel filter. Answer was we do not work on buses or RV's, ok do you have this filter in stock, I can replace my own. "NO wont even look for one." I limped back 12 miles to a TA truckstop, they bent over backwards to help and with a very reasonable shop rate. Guess who I do not buy from any fuel from any longer.

11 hours ago, blakeloke said:

...Did they check your fuel tank for water?  And, something had to have caused the original fuel leak and loss of prime...

Blake

No, didn't think it was a fuel problem.  I had run 800 miles on the same tank of fuel when it lost prime.

I quit using Loves several years ago...first they gave me **** for using the 18 wheeler lanes, said I should use the RV lane, which would have blocked the majority of the people parked in front of the store.  Then they wanted to know how much fuel I wanted in dollars, and actually ran my card for that amount before I pumped any fuel.

Pilot & Flying J, is no different...I try to use T/A or any other Truck Stop...now I have Shell on my reject list.  I have a Credit/Debit Card wit a chip, Shell will only allow the Debit part of the card to be used...I don't use a debit with PIN# in US, because I don't trust it...Remember, the chip and Debit has been in this world for ten or more years, depending on country, before it came out last year here!  I tried a regular CC at the pump, for $35 I got 13.5 gallons, that was the max amount Shell would allow me to run!

I'm in Chandler, AZ.  Tried it here at Shell TS, it was the same as Texas Shell TS !

Carl

Carl, interesting.....I will not use my debit card anywhere except my bank. Don't trust the system after it being hacked 2x now in the last 5 years. I strictly use a credit card, get the free stuff/cash back and pay it off when we get home.

When out on the road you have the opportunity to see, sometimes, the price of fuel at up coming truck stops. I hate to see prices like, $2.58.9/Cash and $2.68.9/Credit. I do use Flying J When my $.06 cents makes the price lower then others. F/J doesn't mind Motor Homes in the Truck lanes and using my RV Plus card allows me to fill up, get my receipt and move on. When the opportunity presents itself I will use QT. QT is building more and more Truck friendly stations and you can get one of their "Pump Start" cards that allows you to fill up with out restarting the pump several times. However you do then have to go in and pay. There are QT's on two routes when we are returning home and I will always top off my tanks before going into the Barn. Each is less than 20 miles from the house and I will be able to park with full tanks.

Have not tried "Bucees" yet thought I hear good things of them.

Herman

I use the PFJ anytime I can. With the PFJ Plus Card, pull up to the pump, fill up, write down the amount and price, jump back in and drive off.  No going in. 

I hate those places (like Love's) where you have to go in and prepay a dollar amount, go back out, pump, go back in and get a receipt for only the amount you used.  Then when you check your CC report you see where they charged you the original amount and it takes a couple days for them to put in the actual amount you payed.  Just playing with my money.

I have used all of they different types of truck stops and I have never had a problem using the truck lanes. The majority of RV lanes I cannot get in and out easily.  Used to use the truck lanes pulling a 40' 5th wheel and never had a problem.

Huge Pilot / Flying J customer.  Love their RV islands.  No issue using credit card in combination with the Plus card, to date. Price is usually competitive.