fagnaml

FMCA "Remodel / Under Construction"

Yes Don that's the place. It's the best place for all of our old members that live in the DFW area that no longer have RVs.

It will give them the opportunity to come for the luncheon and still drive home before dark.

As much as I love the DFW area there aren't any places to have a rally as good as Chotaw KOA in Durant. 

You are welcomed to come. 

Herman 

Herman, I'd like to seeing as how I was bred and born in Denison. Durant was our place to go get beer during our high school years,, a BBQ joint called Sam & Ruths!

Sept is crab season here in the Pacific Northwest so we will be in our summer place. It is also planning month for our 2018 Northwest Area Rally.

Anyway congratulations for your 50th.

Don

Don.  Thank you.  If I was in Dungeness Country, I would miss Durant and our 50th also! :lol:

Good Luck with your crabs...:P:rolleyes:

Carl

21 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

I disagree with allowing towable into FMCA for two reasons.

The first is somewhat selfish.  I've been involved with the organization since the late 1960s, and have grown up only knowing FMCA as a "motorhome" club.  I agree with the OP that allowing towable would dilute the membership.  Some may see this as an "old stick in the mud" attitude, and if thats what it is, I'll accept it.

FMCA members with the Lone Star chapter taught my father how to change his duals and fix his brakes at a rally in the mid 1970s, which might have saved our lives.  Could people who drive towable have that knowledge?

FMCA members drove us kids and my dad's motorhome from the Soux Falls national convention back to Denver when my dad was hospitalized.  Could people who drive towables be able to drive a 35' Fitzjohn bus?

My second reason to say no to the change is, the organization should be self sustaining, weather we have 20K members or 120K members.  If FMCA is losing money after raising membership fees, then more cuts are needed.  On top of that, to bring more younger members in, our advertising needs to change.  We need to go so far as to "sell" younger RV buyers that a motorhome is a better choice than a towable.

Just my 2-cents worth,

Chris Guenther

F3508s

Hi Chris, just a few items.

Are the duals on a 1 ton dually the same as the duals on a motorhome? Most likely with very slight differences.

Can a MH operator drive a 1 ton pulling a 40' 5th wheel, backing it up, etc.? Probably not. 

I do say that my personal experience going from a 5th wheel to the MH was a no brainer.  I found it easier to drive the MH.

I would expect that FMCA would have MH drivers drive MH's and 5th wheel drivers drive 5th weels.

100% that FMCA should be self sustaining. I think increasing the membership, and still making cuts, to include other than MH's would achieve that goal.

"It is what it is, and then it's what you make of it".  Fit's!  We have our opinions and the towable crowd, have theirs.  One thing we all have in common is the lifestyle, interior and their all rolling earthquakes!  Cost more for a MH than a pull behind, but enjoyment is the same.  On average, we tend to have more exterior storage and a generator.  I personally think there is a big misconception among the MH crowd, when it comes to towable's!  I'll be blunt..."they are second class people, construction folks, can't afford a MH, etc.", wrong on all counts!   Most are folks who already have the trucks to haul the trailer or fifth wheel, easier to store for long periods at a time, lower maintenance and more bang for the bucks! 

I know a lot of folks that have trailers, I'm also are a member of Escapees, mixed bag. Not all are full timers. Most of my friends can afford anything they want, but they still run a farm, cattle ranch, or company. 

I'll jump of my "Soap Box" now! :D

Carl, I agree there is a misconception of the trailer folks we have quite a few friends with trailers that we camp with. Granted they are all blue collar but good friendly people to have fun around the campfire with and one heck of a buffet of food we all contribute to. Next weekend is a great example, two class A DP's and three trailers all meeting up for Easter in Gettysburg PA at a campground to start the season. I will say there is a 0% chance any of them would join FMCA, they see no "bang for the buck" they are all GS members, got that for free when the trailer's were purchased, as they expire those will probably go away as well.

GS and Passport America is good for campground information and discount. :) Wish FMCA had gotten involved with the grading system a long time ago, that's a great opportunity that was missed ! :angry:

On 4/3/2017 at 3:35 AM, manholt said:

Don.  Thank you.  If I was in Dungeness Country, I would miss Durant and our 50th also! :lol:

Good Luck with your crabs...:P:rolleyes:

Carl,

I am in Dungee country. I'll let you know how good they taste :lol:

Carl,

I love them fresh!  Frozen is all I can get here, OK but it's like fresh King...no where near the same!  Maybe Linda and I can get up there next year...

25 minutes ago, manholt said:

I love them fresh!  Frozen is all I can get here, OK but it's like fresh King...no where near the same!  Maybe Linda and I can get up there next year...

Is 30 minutes from boat to sauna to plate fresh enough?

Wayne.  I agree 100% !  No better deal anywhere else...unfortunately, with age the usage goes up exponentially, and therefor the cost will also go up, unless FMCA can water it down with a whole bunch of young members!  

The towable crowd that I know, that would join FMCA is all 60+!  That's not going to help the cost any, that I can see!

Brett.  Sorry, but I think we have beat this Post to death.  As for, "will FMCA open up to towables?"  I believe that has been pre determined and the vote is to satisfy the Constitution as writhen in 1971.  Therefore the votes will be tabulated and placed in the December issue of the FMCA Magazine.  FMCA will have the figures in September!  3 month lag time on magazine. 

Carl 

The vote to change the bylaws and constitution will be a written ballot in Indy. It will have to pass by 65% and then be posted in the magazine for the membership to vote. I feel they are doing things backwards but it is legal. A  little underhanded but legal

As far as the sauna, to not scare the crabs we tell them that they are going into a nice sauna instead of saying "into a pot of boiling water you go"