manholt

Transfer Switch

What are the symptoms of a going bad TS?  Also, does it have a relay?  I'm on shore power now and found out yesterday, that both inverters were off. 

Started Generator and unplugged from post. Both inverters still off, then got a momentary green light, then off.  Turned generator off and hooked back up to post and both inverters came on and is still on!

Carl 

Yep,  the problems that you encountered are good signs you need to perform some maintenance before it develops into a more serious problem that could lead to a catastrophic failure.

I would start by checking for loose connections on the ATS and to inspect the ATS contacts.  The  opening and closing of ATS contacts cause an arc and over times the contacts become pitted, that causes a high resistance contact and eventually they will over heat.

Make sure you never shut the generator down when it has load on it, especially if you are plugged into shore power.

I have spent my career in hydroelectric powerhouses and have seen may failures due to high resistance contacts.

Jim

Carl, check it or have it checked. Yes there are relays inside, they actually open and close the contacts. unplug the coach and keep the generator off when you pull the cover, just in case! There were problematic transfer switches around your year coach also. IOTA transfer switch is the one that comes to mind but I could be wrong. The one below I believe is the problematic unit, ironically I have that same model, just several years older :wacko:. I keep a close eye on it with monthly inspections, planning on replacing it in the future as a precautionary measure.

Image result for iota transfer switch

Carl, did you check the shore power breaker at the pedestal? I assume that the inverters are automatic in case the power fails is why they are both on. If this is true, recycle the shore power breaker. Also does the AC's work now? Few coaches are designed for the AC's work on an inverter.

Everything in coach worked and is still working fine.  I just was not getting any charge on house batteries and heard a clunking sound from where my TS is at.  Sometimes it happens then I can go 3 months with no problems!  I'll have TCC take a look when I'm there next week. 

Yesterday, I had to start engine to get enough juice, to bring a slide in...after I got the inverters to work, slide went back out by just turning the key, no engine needed.

Carl

Carl,

The ATS doesn't sound like it is the culprit, since all other 120 VAC things in the coach work. Said another way, the same two hots, one neutral and ground supply not only the inverter/charger, but all other 120 VAC things.

And, since you do not say that outlets and appliances that can be powered by the inverter are not working, that suggests that 120 VAC is also reaching the inverter/charger (and then the pass through feature is powering those items).

So, it may be that just the charger section of the inverter/charger is not functioning.

If this is not exactly what is happening, please post specifically what is working/not working.

Relays in transfer switch are 120 volt, no 12 volt supplied to it. I would certainly have it checked out and as mentioned above make sure that they check all wire terminals and contacts for burn signs and retighten all terminals while in the switch. If the contacts are burned, I would have the switch replaced. Depending on use of course, I usually get about 10 years use out of the Iota brand ATS, and I average two times a week to use it. And I agree with Brett, the ATS doesn't sound like the culprit, based on your reply.

Carl, what else is in the area of the transfer switch? Perhaps a constant duty 12v solenoid...

I found my salesman switch was incorrectly wired and experienced a similar problem last year. Someone replaced the solenoid, they had the inverter tied into the solenoid on the switched side, so when the switch in the front door was turned off it would break the charging line to the house batteries.

Its going to take someone sitting at your coach to figure this one out.

Brett.  Probably as you suggested.  The only thing that does not work at the moment is the charger.  I played with it this morning and now thinking that I have a loss connection or bad ground...Linda, before I could stop her, thumped both inverter/chargers with a rubber mallet.  Inside coach it was charging at bulk 14.5 and 14.6, amp was 89 and 62, then started to drop off until both was showing float at 13. 3 and 13.1...it's still there!  Women!!!

Not what came to my mind at the time! :blink:  But, it is working. :o Yes, I will have both checked out !  I also, got to get a new front TV installed, current Sony is held up by gorilla tape! 

Carl

15 hours ago, manholt said:

Not what came to my mind at the time! :blink:  But, it is working. :o Yes, I will have both checked out !  I also, got to get a new front TV installed, current Sony is held up by gorilla tape! 

Carl

If you use Camo gorilla tape no one can see it.:P

Bill

Bill, your close...now they have clear, see thru Gorilla tape ! :P I can still watch TV. :lol:  But the rolling earthquake don't give me a sense of peace!  Keep thinking about a heavy 46" Sony on my head or in part of my lap!

I now have a new Vizio TV mounted.  It will be connected tomorrow.  Got my cameras working again.  Waiting on engine batteries, they will be here tomorrow am,  Transfer Switch/Surge Protector and Inverters will be looked at tomorrow...hope to leave by Thursday am or I'm going to have to do a R/T Galveston to sign one piece of paper, 471 miles in a off road Jeep on Fwy! :wacko::angry:

1 hour ago, manholt said:

I now have a new Vizio TV mounted.  It will be connected tomorrow.  Got my cameras working again.  Waiting on engine batteries, they will be here tomorrow am,  Transfer Switch/Surge Protector and Inverters will be looked at tomorrow...hope to leave by Thursday am or I'm going to have to do a R/T Galveston to sign one piece of paper, 471 miles in a off road Jeep on Fwy! :wacko::angry:

Can't they overnight it to you? Singe it have it noterised and cvernight it back. Might be able to do same day.

Bill

FAX the paperwork to you. Sign it and FAX it back. We have done that on several occasions.

If you don't want to FAX it back, tape it to the rubber mallet and have Thor (Linda) toss it back to Galveston.:rolleyes: