cwswine

Do I Need A Progressive Surge Protector

I have a 2017 Discovery 40D and I was told it has built in surge protection and not to use additional surge protect like my Progressive since two on the same line can give false signals.  Is this true?  Is there a need for two or is the built in one on the Discovery gives enough protection?

There is not a need for 2 but you can use that to plug into the power pole and verify there are no issues before you plug in your coach.  I would just see if you can find out what kind of protection the coach has as the Progressive is one of the best.  If the coach is that new, however, I suspect what you have built in is likely pretty good.

Agree...I carry one, even though I have a Progressive built in...Like Bill said, plug in to post and see what you got before plugging in coach. 

Ilike my Surge Guard portable for that reason. At Least 3 times last summer I had problems with the power ata site. Having the portable allowed me to go check a different site before I moved the couch. In one state park I tryed 4 places before finding good power. I  know I probbabley need the practise backing in but.:P

Bill

I only have one, Progressive Industries PT-50C, and it has saved me several times. One time in a CG in Kansas (must have clicked my heels) we were all set up and the AC just stopped working. Checked the PT-50c and it showed on leg at 104v and that shut off the PT-50C.  Several other occasions where it worked well.

Funny thing about the AC shut off.  Called the office, manager came out, said they were having some problems at the main box. I told them that I really needed AC as it was in the 90's. To make a long story short, they switched the wires to the legs in the pedestal. AC ran well and lights worked well. It was a one night stay for sure.

PI Backs up their product.

No need for two unless you don't trust the one built in or cannot access it to see faults (in our case) They maybe confusing GFI with EMS. Two GFI outlets on one circuit are a problem, one will fight the other and trip.

Unless you know for sure which protector they installed new I would go with a known good one.  When building a new coach its a question of who has more authority, the engineer or the bean counter.

1 hour ago, desertdeals69 said:

Unless you know for sure which protector they installed new I would go with a known good one.  When building a new coach its a question of who has more authority, the engineer or the bean counter.

Good point!!!