five

Fuel Fill Cap

Fuel caps ties must be really high dollar items since my coach did not come with one on either cap.  Thus when refueling, sometimes there is no place to put the cap except in the ground.

A poster on another forum suggested drilling a small hole through the raised ridge on the cap, and running a piece of fishing line through the hole and securing it, then securing the other end to something in side the fuel door.  

My question and concern is whether or not the ridge on the cap is hollow or solid.  If hollow some of the small pieces of plastic that resulting from drilling the hole could end up in the fuel tank.  If that ridge is solid, should be no problem.

Our unit can be fueled on both sides, so I have two to lose. Lost one after having to run into and out of the fuel desk because of antiquated procedures on their part. The TA in Amarillo. Avoid it if you can. They wore me down and I forgot what I was doing. Bought a replacement for the lost  cap and two extras at a large NAPA store in Effingham, Illinois. From now on I will set the cap on one of the inside steps of our coach. They are not tethered like caps are on saddle tanks on an 18 wheeler. I was lucky to find replacements without a lot of trouble.

Five, Take a look at NAPA, like Byron mentioned and also ask if they have retaining straps for them.

I have them on both of mine and they just hang down from the filler pipe.

Rich. 

FIVE.  I place mine in my pocket, uncomfortable enough, so I don't forget to replace it !  As to the drilling a small hole, take the cap to your work bench and drill away, a squirt of compressed air will get rid of any cuttings....mine is plastic and metal and not solid.

Newer mind Herman. I understood you! :P

Epoxy is another choice to glue a plastic washer or nut to the cap then a lightweight chain to let it hang, or a plastic welder works well.

John.  Doesn't matter...very old, baggy cloths that I drive in!  Smell?  About like my hands, before I was them. :o  Any type of fuel, to me, smells like money! :lol: