stephen123

1992 Safari Ivory Diesel Tech Edition

Hi there, we have a Safari motorhome which we are planning to take across Canada then down and across the US. I've done all 4 wheel discs replacing everything, hoses ,belts the usual things which may go, we haven't driven this rig for about a year and unfortunately the brake backup system is not functioning as well as the brake lights.  Has anyone any ideas as to if there is a relay or fuse which controls this circuit? I haven't been able to find any schematics on this coach as Monaco seemed to get rid of all of the Safari info when they took over. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

I have some drawings for the older Safari coaches. 

you mentioned the brake backup system is not functioning as well as the brake lights. So I will look at my files and attach the schematics just the information on the items you asked about and if they match up with your coach wiring I'm willing to send along some others. 

Do the turn signals work? they are wired into the break light circuits!

SMC Tail_Clear.pdfSMC Tail_Clear.pdf

Rich.

Saf-TURN SIG 1 (ab).pdf

Saf-TURN SIG 2.pdf

SMC Turn_Sig.pdf

This information might help also - there is not much information on the network that cover the older coaches. This is as close as I can come at this time.

Beaver_Service_Manual_(Electrical_Diagrams).pdf

1 hour ago, stephen123 said:

Hi Rich, got the signals working and emergency flashers working was a stuck flasher, things don't like to sit.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Steve, Glad you got things working, and like Kay mentioned - things do not like to just set around. Keep and eye on things as you travel. When you take a brake from driving - do a walk around and look for any leaks an include the wheel seals that might start weeping, they tend to dry out sitting around.

Safe travels, Rich

Yup thanks, one thing down, now to track down the backup brake motor so I can put in on the road. I don't think it would be wise to drive it without the backup system working.

thanks,

Steve

3 hours ago, stephen123 said:

now to track down the backup brake motor

Backup brake motor? This is a new one on me, didn't know any brand MH that had one of these.:wub: What type braking system do you have, air or hydraulic?

Had one on my super c with hydra boost brakes gives you full breaking power if engin fails with air you still have reserve air with a power failure 

Steve, is your coach built on an Oshkosh Chassis by chance. They had a back up break boost system that was powered off the 12 volt system. To many different set ups,but I will check in my notes. Think your coach was built on a Spartan chassis.

Really - things get down to the details in most cases !

Rich. 

Sorry for my dumb question, I had never heard of a back up brake system. As always, you learn something new everyday.  Plan on exploring it more. 

Thanks ,

Herman 

The hydraulic brake system has a hydroboost system (much stronger than a vacuum boost) to assist in lowering braking pedal effort/boosting brake pressure.  The power steering pump provides the hydraulic pressure.

Were the engine to quit while driving, there is an electric pump built into the hydroboost to provide the boost so you could safely stop. It only functions in emergency situations. Easy to very that it works:  step on the brake pedal with the engine off.  You will hear it, as it is under the driver's floorboard.  Don't recall if ignition needs to be on or not for this test.

Yes, very different than air brakes, but a widely used system on trucks and a few motorhomes.

Herman.  I blew it too...but there are no "DUMB" questions. :rolleyes: Answers?  It happens. :(

Brett.  I thought the 92 used a Isuzu chassis...or am I confused?

I now remember the Hydro Boost system. We had two Chevrolet 1 ton dully Pickups that had that system where I worked one time. What I remember was having a pallet of oil in the bed of one of the trucks and two pallets on the trailer I was pulling and coming to a traffic light. When I stepped on the brakes all I did was slow down. The police officer at the intersection saw what was happening and turned on his strobe light and all traffic stopped while I slowly went through the intersection. Thank goodness for the officer. We had the truck checked many time but could never find out why the brakes were marginal at best. I personally never drove that truck again.

Herman 

Thanks for reminding me, my 1987 Southwind had that system but there was no electric backup system on that unit that worked while I owned it. The only one that I could use was stand up on the brake pedal, then again I always had to do that even when the motor was purring like a kitten.:o

This coach is built on an Oshkosh chassis, and it is a hydroboost system, I'm thinking I might jump a hot wire to the boost motor to see if in fact it works then go from there. It's almost like the whole electrical system to the brakes is out as there are no brake lights as well.  We don't leave on the trip till 1st week in Sept. so I have time to track it down.

Stephen,

Join the safarifriends@yahoo.com group. There is a ton of Safari knowledge there to help solve the Safari pertainent questions particularly the old coach questions

Bill Edwards

On 6/18/2017 at 9:19 AM, stephen123 said:

This coach is built on an Oshkosh chassis, and it is a hydroboost system, I'm thinking I might jump a hot wire to the boost motor to see if in fact it works then go from there. It's almost like the whole electrical system to the brakes is out as there are no brake lights as well.  We don't leave on the trip till 1st week in Sept. so I have time to track it down.

You posted that you coach is built on an Oshkosh chassis. Could you post the model chassis that was used?

Rich.

Had hydraulic brakes on our Oshkosh chassis. Big rotors all around but do not remember a boost system. Did I miss something?

? We were 16k loaded with waste tanks empty, full water, and full fuel plus all of our stuff. 

On the hydraulic system I am familiar with (admittedly on heavier chassis) the power steering pump provided boost for normal conditions.  And, built into the hydroboost (under driver's floor) was an emergency electric boost in the event of engine shutdown while driving.

Suspect you had some kind of boost, even on a 16k chassis.  If gas chassis, could have been vacuum.  Guess on diesel they could have fit an engine driven vacuum pump, just never seen this boost system used on a DP.

Yes this system has the power steering driven by a hydraulic pump off the engine, it also supplies the boost for the brake system, that part of it is working it's the emergency part which is not working and that is driven by an electric motor.  I'm sure it's a relay or fuse somewhere which has failed or is stuck, just have to find out where the sucker is there are miles of wire in this thing.

Steve

Steve, I do have one manual for the Oshkosh chassis. So if you wish I can send you a copy. Rather large file to down load, so a fast internet connection helps.

Rich

Thanks Rich that would be great, I have a pretty fast internet so shouldn't be a problem. I figured out the emergency brake system was controlled by a switch on the brake pedal underneath the coach, I cleaned the terminals and managed to get that working, still have no brake lights though, it's coming bit by bit so a manual on the chassis would come in handy.  Here is my email address s.chalmers@shaw.ca

Thanks,

Steve

I have a 96 safari Sarengeti on a Magnum Chassis that has this braking system on it, that I am currently replacing brake lines because of corrosion from being run on salt roads and the line blew out on me last week and I drove another 200 miles with half the brakes working. But it is a Bosch Hydro Max system and the bendx name is affiliated some how maybe they are same company? But you can find the parts online you can buy the motor seperate if need be. Just google Bosch Hydro-Max and you shall find.