roadiestx

Main Battery Charging

I have Expedition that doesn't hold a charge on main batteries.  When plugged in, showing 3 bars, remove shore power and it shows one bar.  Replaced batteries and soon having same problem.  Have not found someone that can understand these systems, just replace batteries.

Can someone recommend a good electrical expert in central Florida (Lakeland) to check this out through the converter, drain on batteries, etc to keep these up as they should be?  

Roadiestx, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

List the Inverter / charger make - Xantrex , Magnum or other. There are some fairly sharp members on the forum and just maybe they can give you a lead. 

You might try this link and see if one of the listed Solar Electricians might service your model - They are almost identical to what is used in coaches - They just use sunshine to keep the batteries charged, but the system work just the same - Check them out with the BBB. I'm thinking there should be one or two in the area.

http://www.homeadvisor.com/c.Solar.Lakeland.FL.-14820.html

Rich. Out of the Box again. <_< 

roadiestx,

Yes, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Have you checked voltage at the batteries with a digital voltmeter?  You can buy one for around $10. They are an invaluable tool in a motorhome.

Actual voltage is a LOT better diagnostic tool than the idiot lights.

Thank you for your responses, I've been in and out of hospital reason for delay.  

Rich, the inverter is a Freedom Combi;  don't see a model  number without removing it to get at back.  

Some time back a vendor at a rally told me there was a good electrical shop around Dade City somewhere.

I was wondering if someone might know which one and had used them.  

Thanks again.

roadiestx

I have mentioned before but I will do it again. Most coaches have a outlet in the engine bay for the Block Heater. When the coach is on shore power or the generator is running the plug is hot. When disconnected or the gen. is off the plug is dead. I connected a Trickle Charger to the plug and to the coach batteries. So any time we are parked and plugged in the batteries are being maintained. Just stayed for 12 days in Indianapolis and the batteries are in fine shape. It seems to me that no matter how much we look, there are always mystery draws on the chassis batteries.

Herman

I'm not sure what is meant by "main batteries", House batteries or Starting batteries.  If it's Starting batts, based on what I read on this forum, I got an echo charger.  Uses whatever is charging house batteries to "maintain" charge on starting batteries.  Look for RV Echo Charger.  While I heard there are cheaper units out there, mine has been working well going on 3 years.   Xantrex 82-0123-01 Echo Charge for 12 and 24V Systems

On 7/17/2017 at 3:36 PM, wajames said:

I'm not sure what is meant by "main batteries", House batteries or Starting batteries.  If it's Starting batts, based on what I read on this forum, I got an echo charger.  Uses whatever is charging house batteries to "maintain" charge on starting batteries.  Look for RV Echo Charger.  While I heard there are cheaper units out there, mine has been working well going on 3 years.   Xantrex 82-0123-01 Echo Charge for 12 and 24V Systems

Does your coach have a separate inverter?  or do you use a generator and shore power for all your 120 volt needs?

Rich.

Look up Frank Zeuner under FMCA members, send him a PM, he lives in Lakeland and I would bet that he knows a good shop near you.

Thanks to all responders and I just wanted to leave an update.  The problem I had ended up being a bad power distribution box that had to be replaced.  As a result of contract requirements, the manufacturer only sold the product to Fleetwood, so ordering from Fleetwood required a delay because they had to special order it from the manufacturer.  After several weeks, it was installed and good news is that I haven't had any more problems with it while on way to Texas and back.  The mechanic determined the inverter was working fine and batteries were a little low, but just needed plugged in for a few days.

Happy travels.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:21 AM, Hermanmullins said:

roadiestx

....Most coaches have a outlet in the engine bay for the Block Heater. When the coach is on shore power or the generator is running the plug is hot. When disconnected or the gen. is off the plug is dead...

Herman

I realize this issue has been solved, but as a point of clarification, that all coaches are not the same, I have a similar plug in the power cable bay for the block heater.  However, my plug must be activated by a switch in the rear of the MH.  It is a regular wall switch, that glows red when activating the plug in the aft bay.

Agree, my plug has a switch on dash, "Block Heater", that I leave on all the time. This leaves the plug hot when hooked to shore power or when the generator is on.

Sorry I didn't explain enough.

Herman 

Yes, it is a small 3 amp maintainer charger. To use the block heater in my coach you must plug it in the outlet I have mentioned. The charger stays plugged, but not the heater, in all the time but is not on unless on shore power or the generator is running.

Herman