C-798165

Tire Blowouts

I can agree with underinflation, also most would be road hazzards such as curbs, rocks, railroad tracks and a number of other debris dropped or somehow  ended up on the road or close to it. A lot of damages happen in RV parks, parking lots and other areas while traveling at very low speed and may not show up till hyway speed and many miles later.

Gary

Abuse would be number one in my eyes. Most will abuse a tire, some may not even know they are shorting the life of a tire, curbing, overspeed, overweight, under inflated, improperly stored. Defective tires can also a concern but I'd bet most are out of ignorance. 

I was driving in my Jeep back from the Houston area to the hill country today on I-10. Ambient temp was 105-107. The speed limit is 75mph. I was driving 75-78 when a driver came around me going maybe 85 towing a Montana fifth wheel.  I expected to see his tires explode any minute but alas, he drove on in to the sunset.

28 minutes ago, Elkhartjim said:

I was driving in my Jeep back from the Houston area to the hill country today on I-10. Ambient temp was 105-107. The speed limit is 75mph. I was driving 75-78 when a driver came around me going maybe 85 towing a Montana fifth wheel.  I expected to see his tires explode any minute but alas, he drove on in to the sunset.

Some people are just lucky. I wonder what tires he was running. Some of the 5th wheel crowd are running truck tires in place of trailer tires and they have a higher speed rating. Personally I think 85 is way to fast.

Bill

Jim, he weakened those tires, without a doubt! They will experience a blow out and blame it on the tire manufacturer.

I had a guy with a trailer try and race me already in Florida, common sense is lacking with most people. I'm guessing he saw a young guy in a DP and had something to prove. 

Many times driving at 62-64 mph TT's and 5'ers will zoom on by me.  Most are ignorant that the tires are rated for 65 mph on 99% of all trailers.

"Blowout" is a generic term used by the un-trained to mean the tire failed.

There are two different conditions that cover probably 95% of failures.

1. Run Low Flex Failure.  This is failure of tire sidewall due to operation at significant low inflation, usually due to active leak in tire or valve. This can happen in just a few miles of operation.

2, Belt/tread separation. This is a longer term (thousands of miles) of operation at improper inflation and/or speed for the load. The heat generated from this improper operation accelerates the degradation of the rubber at the belt edges which can eventually lead to separation.

NOTE the operating condition at the moment of failure is seldom the cause of the failure except for impact from a large pot-hole or road debris. Damage is usually microscopic and cumulative but remember tire damage never repairs itself. the cracks only grow.

3 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Many times driving at 62-64 mph TT's and 5'ers will zoom on by me.  Most are ignorant that the tires are rated for 65 mph on 99% of all trailers.

x2