fagnaml

20 Amp GFCI Tripping at Storage Facility

Took my motorhome out of storage yesterday (Sunday, 9/18/17) for the first time since Hurricane Harvey to prep is for a LSU-Syracuse tailgating weekend this coming weekend (9/22-24).  Everything at the storage facility appeared normal -- no flooding (thank God!) and 20 amp power supply was working (house batteries fully charged, 110 volt night light working, etc.).    When I returned to the storage facility and plugged into the 20 amp outlet, the GFCI in the outlet tripped.  I reset the outlet and it tripped again.   I checked 20 amp outlets that were being used by other RVs (a mix of motorhomes and fifth wheels) and found no other outlet GFCI that were tripped.   I reset the GFCI at the outlet for a third time and had no problems.   This is the first time I've unplugged from / plugged into the 20 amp outlet for my storage spot since before Harvey.

The GFCI has never tripped before and there are no changes to my motorhome (at least that I'v made!).  The storage facility is 22 months old.  I'm attributing the GFCI tripping to the storage facility's circuit and not the motorhome.   I always use a surge protector at the storage facility (and at any RV park). 

Any thoughts from the Forum would be most helpful!

Try turning off the main breaker in your coach 120 VAC panel.

If it still trips, look closely at your pig-tails/adapters. 

If it does not trip with main breaker off, turn off all individual breakers and reset the GFI.  If it doesn't trip, start turning on the individual breakers to try to identify the culprit.

And, indeed GFI's can get weak and/or fail, particularly if exposed to water.

Just a thought, if you were off shore power long enough that your batteries required the "bulk charge" rate when you plugged back in to 20 amp service that could possibly cause the breaker to trip.

2 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Just a thought, if you were off shore power long enough that your batteries required the "bulk charge" rate when you plugged back in to 20 amp service that could possibly cause the breaker to trip.

Agreed, that would cause the shore power BREAKER to trip.  But, not the GFI.

9 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Agreed, that would cause the shore power BREAKER to trip.  But, not the GFI.

Well dang I just plain missed that GFI. How about this, GFI's are notorious about going bad after they trip a few times and I know that from personal experience. 

Could one of your rigs outlets got a little wet while you were on your trip?  An outside outlet with a little moisture will trip a GFI.

Lenp

I had that experience at my storage facility. The facility finally replaced the GFCI and I have not had any problems since.

The more they trip the more the mechanisms weaken and cause them to trip at lower loads.