lgdavies

Winter RV Use

This will be our first Winter trip.

We're planning on going from PA to FL in January.

Then from FL to TX in February. Then from TX back to PA in March.

What advice would you have to offer with regard to getting our 35' Adventurer prepped and ready to make this trip?

Install several weather apps on your cell phone. I have 9. Each one set to a different screen to provide data that another app does not provide.  Watch the weather often. We have a 3 channel thermometer. The sensors are installed: 1. Under the front bumper area. 2. In the wet bay. 3 Inside our refrigerator.  Our wet bay has an outlet that is powered by the inverter. We have a trouble light with a 100 watt rough service light bulb. It is aimed at the water pump.  We do have thermostat inline power control for the light.  Comes on at 40 degrees. You do not have to have a thermostat control. I had one from using heat tapes on an old house we once owned.  We have had 11 degree weather on trips through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.  We have several 1 gallon milk bottles of water filled to allow us to wash hands and flush toilet. The holding tanks might freeze depending on your coach, but if you dump frequently, ice will swell up in center and not damage tank.  We do run the LP gas furnace to keep the interior and bays warm. An electric heater will not heat the bays at night.  We have run into 7 inches of snow, hail and rain storms during winter travel just be prepared to stay a night or two for weather to clear.

Not sure how much snow you will encounter in that area of the country, but you may want to purchase a set of chains for your rig and familiarize yourself on installation.  I have some for my southwind here in Colorado, but haven't had to use them yet, thankfully.

Chris G.

F3508s.

9 hours ago, lgdavies said:

What advice would you have to offer with regard to getting our 35' Adventurer prepped and ready to make this trip?

Ignore those who say you need to buy chains.  DO DRIVE ON SNOWY DAYS!  If you are in PA and headed to FL just watch the weather forecast so you are driving when the roads are clear.  FL to TX in Feb should not cause you any problems at all but, again, watch the weather.  Today, tomorrow or the next day might be the best day to leave.

TX back to PA in March?  SSDD!  Hope you figure that one out as it's really about just using the tiniest bit of common sense and driving when driving makes sense and not driving when it makes no sense to drive.  This will only add or subtract a couple of days to each leg of your travels but it's just a matter of getting there safely and not a matter of getting there.

Good suggestions so far.  Winter is not impossible.  We've been on the east coast in December, drove in snow from Tennessee to South Carolina.  Just take it easy.  Woke up a week later to 3" of snow on the ground, headed for Indianapolis.  It depends on the kind of snow, how it is staying on the road and your experience with driving in snow.  If you're from Pennsylvania you should have the basic snow driving skills.  We made a trip in March from deep south Texas to Pennsylvania.  No snow that year but the funniest thing was when we got into Arkansas.  My wife turned to me and said, "Why are all these trees dead?"  I had to laugh and laugh.  When we left our campground in Edinburg, Texas, the flowers were blooming all along the highway.  Many of our trees were green year round and those that weren't had leaves by late February.  She was thinking that spring had sprung, everywhere.  Boy did we find out it hadn't when we got to Pennsylvania.  You know March in Pennsylvania, it's not warm.  March is a great month in south Texas, stick around and enjoy some really nice weather.  By the end of March you are waking up to 60's with highs in the mid 80's, maybe time for a northerner to flee!

12 hours ago, lgdavies said:

Welcome to the forum. Where in PA are you starting from? The only problem going south may be finding a place to stay the first night. Many campgrounds close for the season after Columbus day. I would make reservations so you know you have a place. "FL to TX in February" where in Texas? If you are headed for South Texas there shouldn't be a problem.

Going North you may run into the same problem with campgrounds, so plan and call to be shure you can find a place.

Bill

Leaving and going home is a toss up...every thing else should not be a problem.  I would do I-10 from FL to TX.  I-20 does get bad winter storms on occasion...mostly freezing rain!  That you don't want to be caught in, parked or driving!

Clothing: pack for both winter and summer that way you'll be prepared.  A suitcase in one of the bays can carry a season of clothes. Or, put sweaters and jackets in the closet if you wear long pants all the time.

For both space savings and cleanliness, Dianne uses vacuum bags to pack off-season clothes. Keeps them in good shape in either the basement, under sofa or closet floor.