jamesaye

CPAP while Boondocking

One more idea.  I recently inherited a Transcend mini cpap from my son when he passed away.  I cleaned it up and took it to the folks that set up my Resmed system, and they used the same numbers to set up the mini.  It has a battery pack about the size of a deck of cards that will power the cpap all night.  Resmed has recently put out one of their own that is about the size of an electric shaver, but it's fairly expensive.

Thanks James, and Semper Fi from a Master Sergeant. That's the equivalent to a commander in the navy, right.

Just got a call from insurance co. and the adjuster has submitted my claim up the chain. You know how long the "chain" is.

Glad you go the CPAP worked out.  I sleep with mine every night. Sure does help.

Hi Folks,

I just finished reading this thread...hoping to figure out how to set up my ResMed AirSense 10 for long-term boondocking. I have an older Class C (2007 FR Sunseeker) without the dc connection in the back of the coach, near the bed where I need to plug in the cpap.  I think - from distilling all your comments - that the simplest solution is to get a dc connection installed and order the appropriate power cord from cpap. My batteries are reasonably new and I don't use the furnace at night...so the only competing drain on the batteries should be the fridge. 

Thank you all for this information.  I count on this FMCA forum for all my hands-on guidance...even when I don't understand some of your more technical comments, somebody always has the simple solution that solves my problem.

Thanks to all....Nancy

Nancy, Is your ResMed AirSense 10 12V or 110? I would think it would have a "adapter" so you could plug it into 110. If you have an inverter in your coach, I bet you have a 110 outlet in the back that is powered from it. Turn off external power and test the outlets with your inverter on.

Bill

I don't think I have an inverter in my coach. I do plug the air sense into a 110 outlet by my bed. But the air sense does not work if external power is off. The outlets next to my bed are dead when I'm boondocking. I think I need to have a DC connection installed but I could be wrong. I have one DC connection but it's up by the slide in the kitchen area

I have run mine on inverter overnight in rest area with no problems it dosent need much power never had a problem

I tried running it on my 200 Watt inverter last night and it wouldn't work. So I think it needs a higher wattage inverter

Nan,

Might I suggest you look into a Inverter of at least 1,000 Watts. This would at least give you peace of mind for running your cpap. 

Good luck. Some of the answers here are not understood by a lot of us. :wub: 

Herman

A simple solution is to install a 12 volt battery under the bed if you have room, then a 12 volt plug attached to the battery. You can use a small smart charger plugged into a 120 volt outlet to keep the battery charged, and with a smart charger, it is ok to leave it plugged up 24/7 to keep the battery fully charged, this way, even if power fails during the night or day, the c-pap will remain running with no intervention. Check the maximum amp draw @ 12 volts and let us know, this way we can recommend an appropriate battery size to give you the time needed to keep the machine running maximum amount of time. Also you would need to invest in a deep cycle battery, preferably a gel cell, or AGM because these need no attention for keeping the correct fluid level. Also there is a device which is referred to as a UPS (uninterruptable power source) that plugs directly into 120 volt and will supply 120 volt output, these devices are usually found in places like Sam's or Costco, they will be located near the computer sections of those stores, I would highly recommend one of these units even at home in case of a power failure. There is a built in alarm that will sound in the event of power failure, and most of these units the alarm can be silenced so that it will not awaken you, again be sure to let us know about the maximum amp draw so we can advise what size unit to buy.

Thanks Herman and Kaypsmith.

I did order the CPAP 12 volt power supply and I understand what you said about adding an extra battery and a UPS. I think I'll try the 1000 watt inverter rather than go for the weight of another battery, a charger and a UPS - which are all quite heavy. I have that as a backup if I can't get consistent coverage with the inverter. Thank you for taking time to answer. I'm really grateful.

And Herman, thanks for telling me there are other people who scratch their heads and wish they could understand more of what is suggested. I try to only feel really dumb once or twice a day.

Nan 

I have a rested cpap too, they have an adapter available that plugs into standard cig liter socket. Works perfect. There is a socket built into my American coach right alongside the bed.

Installing a 12 outlet for your 12 vdc to 24 vdc resmed power brick is fairly easy. Just be sure the center contact is positive. Using this connection is much more efficient than using an inverter.